Intake, Headers, and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Exhaust set up Possability

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 08:46 PM
2nd Gear member
Default Exhaust set up Possability

So when i get anothercar, instead of the gmmg chambered cat-back,i was thinkin about doin a dual set up: header to cat converter to muffler, 1x per side. heres a sketch of it using microsoft paint... any suggestions, possible problems, etc. Its gonna be a 91 or 92 z28 with a 350. thanks

Old 01-14-2007, 08:48 PM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: Exhaust set up Possability

Also when you buy a glasspack , someone said you have to repack them.Is this true, if so how often?
which muffler/ glasspack do you guys suggest.

Thanks again

Old 01-16-2007, 12:18 AM
2nd Gear member

i don't know about 3rd gens but with a 4th that would never work

i'm guessing you would have lots of clearance issues

Old 01-16-2007, 01:50 AM
Overdrive Member

You can fit dual on the fourth gens(third gens actually have almost the exact same setup as the fourth gens), but you do run into some clearance issues. If you don't have to deal with pot-holes/speedbumps/dips then go for it, it'll be a squeeze though. My suggestion, get LT headers, a good Y and a good cat-back.

Old 01-16-2007, 01:52 AM
3rd Gear Member

Glass packs are useless, they'll sound good for a weekend and then sound like ***. The packing blows out and most of the mufflers, you can't repack them because they're welded. For a V-8 set up you'll get more power with a cross over pipe.

Old 01-16-2007, 02:05 AM
2nd Gear member

cool thanks guys. hey 95slvr, is that setup smog legal, because i have looked and looked, but i cant seem to find a longtube that has AIR tubes, or are for sale in CA, which is the lovelystate that requires smog emissionsfor vehicles 73 and newer.stupid lame *** laws.

Old 01-16-2007, 02:43 AM
Overdrive Member

Colorado is the same way. The Kooks that I have are at least 49 state legal, if not 50(and the 49 would obviously exclude Cali because it's crazy harsh). I'm pretty positive that it is completely legal because the headers have all the emissions hooks ups(AIR, O2 bungs and EGR) and the cats have all the necessary O2 bungs etc. They are magnaflow high-flow cats, so if those are usable in Cali, I'd assume that the setup is legal all around.

Old 01-16-2007, 05:19 PM
2nd Gear member

ORIGINAL: 95slvrZ28

You can fit dual on the fourth gens(third gens actually have almost the exact same setup as the fourth gens), but you do run into some clearance issues. If you don't have to deal with pot-holes/speedbumps/dips then go for it, it'll be a squeeze though. My suggestion, get LT headers, a good Y and a good cat-back.
i know you can fit duals, but you can't go striaght back like that, you have to have 2 pipes going were the one pipe is right now

Old 01-17-2007, 10:00 AM

I had a 2 1/2" dual setup on my 83 before we cut the floors out. I used ceramic hedmans with no emisions, 2 pipes following the original single pipe location with two 18' flowmasters in the rear corners like the 80's and 90's corvette factory exhaust. The track bar had to be modified to allow clearance for the extra pipe, the luggage compartment needed a little hammer clearance on the drivers side, and since my battery has always been in the spare tire wellit wasn't an issue to cut the rounded bottom out of the well and weld in a flat floor, The turndowns on the end of the mufflers is the only part of the exhaust that was visible. No clearance issues and a very distinct exhaust sound. the car ranmid 13's with a bone stock 350.

Old 01-24-2007, 01:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Well if you go for a third gen that setup will never work. In third gens you cannot run true duel exhaust simply because there is no room. If you wanted true duels then you would have to get a custom exhaust made so if would fit correctly. Thats why typically all third gens run headers into a ypipe, then one cat to a long midpipe, connecting the cat to the muffler, then a single muffler to two tailpipes.

Quick Reply: Exhaust set up Possability