Intake, Headers, and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Cut outs.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 04:49 PM
2nd Gear member
Default Cut outs.

Alright, I've been thinking about exhaust and what-not, and I'm curious about cut outs.

Can you have cut outs on an otherwise stock car? What sort of performance gains would you see compared to a normal after market exhaust? Who makes them (Brand)? What is installation like? How are they priced compared to other exhaust upgrades?

It's all pretty basic stuff I guess, but it's all new to me.

Old 03-08-2008, 04:57 PM
Ninja Administrator
Default RE: Cut outs.

a stock car wont see much for gains because you are still going through the restrictive exhaust manifolds. the price varies depending on what you get. if u get the screw type they are pretty cheap, but the electric ones are a couple hundred bucks a pop. however u dont need to get under ur car each time u want the plates off.

they need to be welded in to place, so if u cant weld you will need to take it to a shop. that shouldnt be too expensive though.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:01 PM
2nd Gear member

That's cool. Thanks.

Cause I think it would be pretty cool to have a stock exhaust, then just open the cut outs when no one is expecting it, ya know? Sleeper type of thing.

Another question: What is the sound like when they are open? How about closed?

Old 03-08-2008, 09:12 PM
1st Gear Member

if you have cats it sounds pretty good, relatively quiet at idle but screams at WOT. without cats id imagine it would sound more raspy but a bit louder.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:15 PM
Ninja Administrator

i would actually not put a cutout after a cat, defeats the purpose entirely. it makes more sense if you have a highflow cat and put it before the cat for emissions purposes.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:18 PM
2nd Gear member

Emissions aren't a problem, michigan ftw. lol.

So can someone tall me a good brand to look into? Or do the normal exhaust makers make cut outs as well (magnaflow, borla, etc.)?

So much help, I lurv et! lol.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:21 PM
Ninja Administrator

its just a hole in ur exhaust with a motor that opens or closes it. no real wear on the parts, so brand isnt important. www.ebay.com they sell some good ones

Old 03-08-2008, 09:30 PM
2nd Gear member

Yeah, I see your point. lol.

Would going with a non-electric powered one be better? Living in michigan, I do need to drive in the snow. And in my physics class I learned that water+electricity=CSCHSCHHCshshchSHCHSCHschHC *bleh*. lol. Or is everything that could probably be affected by that far away?

I'm gonna go look at some pictures of them, hopefully I'll also be able to find out everything electrical related too. lol.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:32 PM
Ninja Administrator

all the wires should be sealed just like all the components already in ur car. ud be surprised how many wires are running under car to beginw ith

Old 03-08-2008, 09:43 PM
2nd Gear member

Nice.

And I'm guessing that becasue I probably am not going to be doing any major modding (cam, turbo, SC, etc.), the size doesn't matter a whole lot? Obviously I don't want to go too small, but anywhere in the 2.5-3.5 inch range would be fine, right?

Specter, you're just so helpful. *gives medal* lol.

Quick Reply: Cut outs.