Intake, Headers, and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 04:18 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: Cold Air Intake

I'm looking for a CAI for my 89 RS. i cant seem to find any, not even on ebay. Anybody know where i can get one? I mainly want one for looks, so cheap would be fine.

Old 12-29-2007, 07:03 PM
1st Gear Member

I took my moroso off for my 50 dollar ebay intake and I feel no difference whats so ever. Actually the ebay one seems to be more responsive when I tap the gas pedal.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:07 PM
In the Staging Lanes

That cheap eBay one probably does flow better than the Moroso, but it also probably doesn't filter out as small of (or possibly as many) particles as the Moroso. SLP has a cool looking filter that looks like this: http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=skufor the LT1/LT4.
The type doesn't matteras much as the amount of surface area, material used to make itand usually theposition of it. A stock paper filter usually filters the best so if you have a carburetor or TBI system it's usually best to just go with the biggest paper filter you can.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:41 PM
1st Gear Member

I got a question can u even put an intake on a 3rd generation cuz i never seen one in them is it cuz they look different then the tubes? or what

Old 01-17-2008, 09:50 AM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: drumr2790

That cheap eBay one probably does flow better than the Moroso, but it also probably doesn't filter out as small of (or possibly as many) particles as the Moroso. SLP has a cool looking filter that looks like this: http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=skufor the LT1/LT4.
The type doesn't matteras much as the amount of surface area, material used to make itand usually theposition of it. A stock paper filter usually filters the best so if you have a carburetor or TBI system it's usually best to just go with the biggest paper filter you can.
Thatsetup is for the Vette.

Old 01-17-2008, 04:17 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Couldn't it still work for the Camaro though?

Old 01-17-2008, 04:49 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Wait, I don't think it will...I'm stupid.

Old 01-17-2008, 06:26 PM
Overdrive Member

No, It's not going to clear the gap between the radiator and the hood. SLP makes one that is similar to that one for the LT1 Camaro, but truthfully you overpay because it says SLP on it.

Old 01-23-2008, 02:50 AM

you can get a full SLP CAI kit for about $280 bucks and will get you anywhere from 15-22 rwhp well if you go with a K&N its about $310 i beleive and you get about 14 rwhp, personally i would go with the SLP kit.

Old 01-23-2008, 02:38 PM
2nd Gear member

Honestly, I wouldn't Pay $200 for an intake, It's all about the location of the intake.
This Ebay Model Is A "Stage 2" Which by there standards means it does sit where the factory airbox does ( which draws in Hotter air) it actually goes down through the hole that 93-97's already have.
So For Less than $50.00 You have An Intake that is going to perform just as well if not better than most of the higher priced ones.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-97...2em118Q2el1247

The SLP one LOOKS badass, because it has dual air filters, But It is not going to provide any further benefits with that extra filter.

I Custom fabricated mine, I Used the factory plastic U bend into a straight induction tube off of an 89 Camaro into a 3 inch Metal CAI unit from a Mitsubishi Eclipse that I paid 15 bucks for off of a friend. I removed the bottom Plastic from underneath the car and my intake sits right in front of my wheel well, ensuring that it gets true cold air. And Yes It Does get Dirty, But I have no problems with it sucking in water or anything like that. I had a cheap Cone filter on it for awhile and then i acquired a K&N display model that are seen at Autozone etc..
for 10 bucks off the manager, who happens to be a friend of the family. The Only Difference I noticed was that the K&N Makes More of a Whistle. Perhaps this is due to the solid metal base of the K&N on the bottom whereas the cheap filter had an inverted cone in the bottom to suck in more air. The Main thing is buy a K&N recharge kit and keep the filter clean. and In my opinion, Metal intake tubes Sound better than the plastic ones, BUT plastic does not conduct heat, as metal tends to

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake