Intake, Headers, and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 04:28 PM
Default Cold Air Intake

I have a 95 Z28 5.7L, and want to get a better air intake for it.
I wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions as to what kind/ brand of cold air intake I should be getting, and if anyone knew any reliable websites (other than ebay). Any input is very much appreciated.
Thanks,
Peter

Old 11-16-2007, 06:26 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: Cold Air Intake

The good brand names, such as K&N, Moroso, etc., all perform about the same, and are true cold air systems taking in cool air from outside the engine compartment. If you get a no name, or some of the E-bay stuff, make sure they are really a cold air system, and not just a pipe with a filter stuck on the end sucking in air from under the hood, which makes them worse than the factory system.

Old 11-17-2007, 12:32 PM

Would something like this be a good choice?
http://fasttoys.net/shop/product_inf...roducts_id=459

Old 11-26-2007, 01:45 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Friends have told me To go With K&N ...I havent yet, But when the time comes, Thats what I'm gonna rock out.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:18 PM
3rd Gear Member

truthfully, CAIs are pretty much a waste of money. if you spend a little more money elsewhere, you will get better results

CAIs really only work on top-end horsepower. at lower speeds, there really isn't much cold air flowing through them to benefit the set-up enough.

it's your lowend torque that makes you feel the power in the seat of your pants

your best bet on CAIs is to just pick whichever one looks the best to you. forget about the one that makes, maybe 3 or 5 HP more than the others. you will never feel that while you're driving

Old 11-30-2007, 01:22 AM
Overdrive Member

1969 SS, on the 93-97 F-bodies a new intake really does make a difference due to the ridiculously restrictive stock intake box(if you ever see one you can't help but laugh at how they attempted to get air through it to make power). You're correct in saying that it really doesn't do anything except for the top end, but there is s difference above 3200 or so RPM.

Go for the Moroso or K&N, it really depends on price after that...

Old 11-30-2007, 07:28 AM
2nd Gear member

i thought SLP was a good intake. is it?

Old 12-01-2007, 04:06 PM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 95slvrZ28

1969 SS, on the 93-97 F-bodies a new intake really does make a difference due to the ridiculously restrictive stock intake box(if you ever see one you can't help but laugh at how they attempted to get air through it to make power). You're correct in saying that it really doesn't do anything except for the top end, but there is s difference above 3200 or so RPM.
I am quite familiar with the set-up because I have had dozens of F-bodies from 69 on up. you can get a decent help from it, all things considered,if you include a tune with it but I would just rather spend my funds elsewhere JMO

Old 12-01-2007, 06:34 PM
1st Gear Member

k and n is a good brand but with their filters follows some little problems. since the filter material that they use is like a oil based fabric, when the air passes thru the filter, it blows all the oil thru the filter and into the intake system, the effects of that is a bad mass air flow sensor and depending on what year camaros you guys drive, it can be pretty pricey, there is always a chance of it not doing that, and it doesn't happen a lot to the lucky ones, it usually takes about 5 years or so for it to mess up the sensor.

Old 12-05-2007, 01:32 AM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: rockin85

i thought SLP was a good intake. is it?
The SLP intake is going to be good, but you'll pay more for it because it says "SLP" on it, and it's not going to make any more power than the Moroso or K&N.

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake