Intake, Headers, and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

3.8 cheap exhaust noise!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 12:10 PM
4th Gear Member

you ever been to a demo derby? all those POS loud cars? thats what you get when you hack a muffler off a 6 cylinder

Old 02-11-2009, 12:16 PM
4th Gear Member

what a v6 sounds like with no muffler

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyFT2...eature=related

Old 02-11-2009, 06:15 PM
Overdrive Member

To be honest I was partially joking about just hacking off your muffler. That's sort of like what I have done, but I have a V8, they have a different sound. If you get a full cat back exhaust I would recommend going with a reputable brand, not just "a pipe straight back without all the bends" because those bends are what give you ground clearance.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by bluovlh8er

actually to me that exhaust didnt sound all that bad untill he reved it. But he didnt cut off his exhaust though in the description he describes a full exhaust system and you can see the exhaust tip under his car.

To be honest I was partially joking about just hacking off your muffler. That's sort of like what I have done, but I have a V8, they have a different sound. If you get a full cat back exhaust I would recommend going with a reputable brand, not just "a pipe straight back without all the bends" because those bends are what give you ground clearance.
Im not thinking about hacking off the exhaust anymore i realize thats not the best idea my other post said that but i wanted to replace the stock exhaust and have one that just goes straight back from the cat instead of curving up, back down, then to the right before it gets to the muffler like the stock one is. Isnt all that turning bad? Like doesnt it cut down on the sound and performance? And i have stock suspension so my car doesnt come anywhere close to bottoming out would having the pipe come down a little then back up really risk ground clearance problems??

Old 02-12-2009, 11:38 AM

If you want something to sound good, you're going to have to pay for it, plain and simple.

Old 02-12-2009, 03:13 PM
Overdrive Member

Originally Posted by datboypatrick954
actually to me that exhaust didnt sound all that bad untill he reved it. But he didnt cut off his exhaust though in the description he describes a full exhaust system and you can see the exhaust tip under his car.

Im not thinking about hacking off the exhaust anymore i realize thats not the best idea my other post said that but i wanted to replace the stock exhaust and have one that just goes straight back from the cat instead of curving up, back down, then to the right before it gets to the muffler like the stock one is. Isnt all that turning bad? Like doesnt it cut down on the sound and performance? And i have stock suspension so my car doesnt come anywhere close to bottoming out would having the pipe come down a little then back up really risk ground clearance problems??
The turning is "bad" for the stock exhaust system because they use compression bending so the pipe gets kinked in order to bend. With a good cat-back system it's all mandrel bent, so the bends themselves are much smoother, and thus aren't as much of a problem. A good mandrel bent system with headers and all can support up to 500+ HP, so I don't think you're going to be running into any problems on flow. If you don't want any bends in the exhaust you're going to have to run it under your rear axel instead of over it. Go outside and look under your car at the rear axel, then add 3 inches under that and look at your ground clearance and let me know if you want it that close to the ground.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:09 PM

yea i took my muffler off and it was loud as hell...louder than my old truck with headders and a 350 with a 4 barrel carb.
it sounded good too...not raspy or ****ty or anything
i put the muffler back on anyways cuz i dont know if its bad for the car or not...
but it does rumble so yea

Old 04-01-2009, 08:29 PM

i would say start with mandrel bends from this place
http://www.mandrel-bends.com/catalog...te_banner_id=2
then get rid of the res and pick some mufs yer happy with ...take all of that to a local shop for welding...this way you have a top quality system for as cheap as possible....and it will be 1 of a kind

Old 04-08-2009, 01:15 PM
Overdrive Member

No, that's an SLP Loudmouth...

Originally Posted by bluovlh8er