Intake, Headers, and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

3.8 cheap exhaust noise!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 12:19 PM
Unhappy 3.8 cheap exhaust noise!

I have a 98 3.8 and i wanted to get some extra noise from my exhaust. I dont see the point in spending a crapload of money on an exhaust system however because i want to upgrade to an ls1 as soon as i get the money.

I live in florida so no emissions to worry about (sorry cali) so could anyone tell me how to either debaffle my muffler or gut my cat and if itll make my car louder or kill me from fumes or smells or sumthing please?? I already know its illegal also but i wont have this car for long.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:20 PM

i was also thinking about getting rid of the car completely and replacing it with a straight pipe could anyone tell me how hard or impossible that would be? and if it would make a difference?

Old 02-10-2009, 04:13 PM
2nd Gear member

Well if you got rid of the car and replaced it with a straight pipe it wouldnt make any noise at all, or move for that matter. Now if you replace the cat with a pipe it will get louder, but know that the 3.8 gets extremely, like incredibly uber super raspy without a cat.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:46 PM
Overdrive Member

Cheap way to lots of noise: Hacksaw

Old 02-10-2009, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by 6v49der
Well if you got rid of the car and replaced it with a straight pipe it wouldnt make any noise at all, or move for that matter. Now if you replace the cat with a pipe it will get louder, but know that the 3.8 gets extremely, like incredibly uber super raspy without a cat.

lol my bad i meant get rid of the cat! and do you mean raspy like stupid ricer hondas?? im looking for kinda a deeper american rumble

Old 02-10-2009, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by 95slvrZ28
Cheap way to lots of noise: Hacksaw

hacksaw doesnt sound all that bad where do i cut from?? and what are the risks??

Old 02-10-2009, 10:14 PM
Overdrive Member

Cut anywhere behind the cat and in front of the muffler.

Risks: Carbon Monoxide poisoning if you cut to close to the cab and you're sitting in heavy traffic for a long time.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:42 AM
2nd Gear member

Your not going to get any kind of rumble at all by removing any part of your exhaust. That, and the 3.8 doesnt really rumble, and yes it will sound ricy without a cat. Generally, to make a car sound "good," its a matter of adding things, not removing them. Like a new exhaust.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:19 AM
4th Gear Member

Another noise freak who equates a loud sounding exhaust to performance.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:50 AM

Your not going to get any kind of rumble at all by removing any part of your exhaust. That, and the 3.8 doesnt really rumble, and yes it will sound ricy without a cat. Generally, to make a car sound "good," its a matter of adding things, not removing them. Like a new exhaust.

yea ur right i guess if it was that easy you guys wouldnt spend hundreds of dolars on custom exhaust systems. Im not gunna do it anymore ill probably just buy a new muffler and make the pipe come straight back from the cat to the muffler and straight out the back instead of all those extra twists and stuff.

Another noise freak who equates a loud sounding exhaust to performance.
I wasnt trying to get performance because im upgrading to an ss ls1 in the near future so i just dont want to sink alot of money into the 3.8 while i have it but still want it to sound decent.

Quick Reply: 3.8 cheap exhaust noise!