General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

window stuck down

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 03:05 PM
Default window stuck down

my driver side window has been stuck down.i dont believe it was the motor because both windows worked fine.i think it was the switch.it was kind of loose and floating.i took the door panel off and tried to do the stupid thing of touch two of the wires togeather to get it ti go back up since it was due for rain all week and being infantry in the Marines i have absolutley no time to **** with it. when i was messin with the wires it would give a spark and when that did my radio would go out. i tried this with i believe three wires and now it just wont do anything. no power to any of the wires.passenger side dosent work and my radio dosnt trun on. i pulled the 35A breaker and put a test light in the slots and neither one of them came up hot. where is the fuse for the windows? or better yet does anybody know how i can fix my problem.? thanks im sick of getting wet

Old 05-28-2007, 08:46 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: window stuck down

Check all the fuses, one that may assist the windows may also be on another circuit and labeled different. Check the underhood fuses also. Not sure on your year so just assuming it's new enough to have the underhood.

May seem stupid, but once you have the fuse replaced (if one's burnt) and have voltage again going to the window. Give the motor area a wack with a rubber hammer. The contacts may be stuck in the armature of the motor. It may go up one more time.

No power from the switch, get a small 12 volt battery and try to run the motor up with that since the door panels off and you can see the motor.

Aside from that. Semper Fi and thank you for your service. What base? I have a brother at 29 Palms..

Old 05-28-2007, 01:26 PM

the car is a 93. i checked all the fuses on the drivers side dash.all good.ill check the ones under the hood.dose anybody have a wiring diagram for the drivers side window wiring.im not sure which wire is positive and which is negative.i did hook power up to the wires to try and get it to move but im not sure which current is in which wire. i believe there is a blue and brown wire coming from the motor.i tried it both ways on those wires and nothing.maby the motor is bad.but that still dosent explain why the passenger side one dosent go up or down and the radio wont turn on.

im stationed at camp lejeune, NC. leaving in a week to go out to 29 palms for some desert training before we get on the bird to Ramadi

Old 05-28-2007, 02:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Blue and Brown, sounds right. Power to both sides with ground on it's opposite won't hurt it on the motor side. Each wire is a power when depending on up or down.

Sounds dead, maybe power to it and a wack it'll go up one more try.

Think there is a relay for the power windows, Also, on the driver door, check and see if the harness has some broken wires where the door meets the a-frame post. That is a common problem area with wiring.***** to see in that rubber boot when you pull it back, if there's room. Many times you have to cut the rubber open to see the wires. I can't recall where your window switch is for a 93. At home so no wiring at hand or pics.

Here is a link to a 95...should be the same, or close to it, if memory serves me right

and the window

Try swapping the other circuit breakers for the headlights with the window and see what happens, if your get power back anywhere. Maybe burnt up a fusible link that powers circuits with the windows and radio..

Going to 29 in a few? My little bro should be showing back up there by then. Just getting out of Hawaii and floating home after a 7 month in the sandbox. 1st Tnk BN, Delta Co...