General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Vats?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 11:45 AM
Default Vats?

About 2 weeks ago my 91 camaro started to turn over intermittently. It either starts right up, or does nothing. I've already checked the batter, starter, solenoid, and alternator, and the connections between all the systems. I am now in the process of looking at the the ignition switch and VATS, but i'm really not sure how to tell what is the flaw in the ingnition system. I've also read some about bypassing the VATS so it doesn't matter, but I'm a little hesitant about messing around with the wiring. Where exactly should I start looking for a failure?

Old 10-16-2010, 11:54 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Does your security light in the dash go on too? If it is the VATS acting up, you can try cleaning the resistor on the key, or try another key if you have one. Also pick up a spray can of electrical contact cleaner and give it a shot into the slot of the ignition switch. The pick-up module in there could be gunked up, throwing the resistance reading of the key off, or out completely.

Old 10-16-2010, 12:58 PM

The security light does come on when i start the car, but then as soon as it starts running again, it goes off like it is supposed to. I did just take my ignition out to look at it and the two wires going from the ignition switch were both stripped in the same place so i'm thinking it might be a short. However, there was also a large amount of grease where the switch turns is connected to the starter relay. I'm assuming that is supposed to be greased, but like i said, I've never dealt with wiring or the internals of an ignition system before.

Old 10-16-2010, 01:49 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

With the wires having a bare spot, it's likely they were grounding out causing an intermittent problem. The security light going on initially, along with the other diagnostic lights, is normal. If the VATS is nonoperational, the engine won't start, it won't even turn over, and the security light will stay on.

Old 10-20-2010, 05:38 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

This sounds like you need a new ignition lock cylindar.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:49 PM

Well, since I fixed the wires and covered the exposed parts i haven't had a problem with the car starting, but now my airbag light is on, and i'm not sure where to look for the problem with that. Would it show up if i got a systems check at an auto parts store?

Old 10-21-2010, 02:17 PM
Tech Droid

Check the yellow wires under the dash.They are part of the air bag wiring,they may have come undone when working on the ignition. Disconnect battery before disconnecting or connecting any of the yellow wires, you don't want to set the air bag off.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:03 PM

so, i thought i fixed the problem with the ignition by covering up the exposed wires with electrical tape, however, last night i went to go start my car again and the security system was activated again. I waited 5 minutes or so for the security light to go off, but it never did. I even tried to push start it, but the security light stayed on the entire time, so the engine wouldn't stay running. I went to go look at the ignition wires i previously fixed today, but before i took the steering wheel off i tried it one more time and the VATS wasn't activated. I still don't know where else a short would be or where else to investigate. any advice?

Old 10-27-2010, 06:34 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

replace the lock cylindar and key.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:24 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
If it is the VATS acting up, you can try cleaning the resistor on the key, or try another key if you have one. Also pick up a spray can of electrical contact cleaner and give it a shot into the slot of the ignition switch. The pick-up module in there could be gunked up, throwing the resistance reading of the key off, or out completely.
Did you try this yet?

Quick Reply: Vats?