General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Transfering title

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 08:55 PM
Default Transfering title

alright so there is a 94 camaro i am goin to buy from a friends dad, the only prob is that the title isnt under his name, its under some womans name that dissapeared , she signed the pink slip to release it but its dated in 06, i was wondering wat i would need to get it transfered to me.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:02 PM
Super Scooch
January 2009 ROTM
Default RE: Transfering title

Is the Title still open? If so, you just pay him and take the title to the tag office and it looks like she signed it over to you. If she signed it over to him (meaning it has his name wrote in on the title in ink) in 2006 and he never got it legally transfered into his name, then he has to go get the title put into his name before he can sell it to you and sign the title over to you so that it can be transfered title into your name. I have run into this twice before. So, to recap if its been signed over to him which I imagine it has and he's never done anything with it, then he now has to go transfer it into his name legally and apply for a title in his name. Then he can sell it to you and you can have the title signed over to you and then you can take it and apply for your title. Good Luck.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:43 PM
3rd Gear Member

Personally I wouldnt pay him anything untill the title is in his name and it could be legally transferred to you.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:44 PM

well its not signed over to him its jus signed to b released

Old 11-26-2008, 11:24 PM
3rd Gear Member

I would just check with the DMV and make sure you can transfer the title with the paperwork you have. I am just a little gun shy when the owner doesnt actually have their name on the title.

Old 11-27-2008, 12:07 AM

i talked to him about it and he said he didnt get it put in his name cuz he didnt wanna pay the fees to get it registered

Old 11-27-2008, 01:45 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I've done that numerous times before, no problems. As a hobby, I'll pick up a car that needs some attention, fix it up and flip it for a profit. I never transfer the title to my name. If a buyer asks me, I either say I'm selling it for a friend, or I'll tell them what I did do (it depends on the extent of the repair). As far as the state is concerned, you bought it from the person who signed the title over. They don't need to see proof, as far as a bill of sale. And as long as your name is signed on the title, you'll be fine. They may question why you didn't transfer the title right away and why you waited two years to do it though. Just tell them you bought it back then as a fixer-upper, and just now got it ready for the road. "Oops, I forgot to transfer it back then"!

Old 11-27-2008, 03:17 AM
3rd Gear Member

A properly endorsed title, also known as a pink slip, with the previous owner's signature on line one. If the vehicle is or was financed, line two of the title will also require a releasing signature. If the title is lost, an Application for Duplicate Title (REG 227) (PDF) must be completed and signed. There is an additional fee for a duplicate title, and signatures of the legal owner and lienholder must be notarized. If the vehicle was not purchased from the owner whose name appears on the title, you will need a bill of sale from each in-between buyer.

The above is from the California DMV... seems fairly simple to do..... http://dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg135.pdf

Old 11-27-2008, 08:18 PM
Overdrive Member

Do what Camaro69 said to do. I bought my 84 Camaro from my former employer who bought it from the original owner and never transffered it. It had sat so long it was no longer on file so I had to get the vin verified. But I took the signed over pink, dated years before and just said I had torepairit and it was fine.

Old 11-28-2008, 03:16 AM

thank you guys, i will be buying this car and after fixing it up im goin to sell it to my uncle and make a good profit

Quick Reply: Transfering title