General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Thinking about buying a '91 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 02:27 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Thinking about buying a '91 Camaro

Well first off I would like to say hi as I am new to the forum. I plan on buying a '91 camaro. This will be my second car although I do not have my license (3 months). I am selling my first truck on eBay (1954-55 Dodge C-1 Pick up) . Now, they are asking 2500 for this '91 camaro. Supposably there is no rust and the vehicle has never been in a accident. They said there is no dents accept there is a hole in the door of someone trying to break in. Fishy huh? Well I checked the VIN with my local police department and they said it was clear. The pictures you see are the only I have seen of the vehicle. Now details on the car specifically. It is a RS+ automatic. It "supposably" has a 350 in it that has only 25,000 miles on it. It is NOT the original engine and was not rebuilt but was a brand new crate engine when put in. They do not have the paperwork on it and it looks much older in my opinion but that is why I am here. It has power windows, power locks, new tires and one of my favorites, T-tops. I wish the car was not automatic. That is my biggest draw back on the car. So that comes to my first question, is it possible to convert it to manual with out converting my wallet? I understand that means new transmission but what about the center counsel and so on. I think right now my priority is sound. I was thinking flow-tech headers with straight pipes. Only problem with that is I don't know if they sell straight pipes or if they are custom made. Are they even legal? If that is not possible than I would like to go with 80" flowmasters. Well I think that is pretty much everything for now. One last thing; where can I find rules and regulations for Virginia. Meaning what are the laws on what I am aloud and not aloud to do with moding my car.

Name:  1194-1762-Camarophotoforad.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  39.5 KB
Name:  100_0126.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  96.2 KB
Name:  100_0127.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  130.9 KB

Thanks,
JTNKTZ

Old 03-20-2008, 03:07 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Thinking about buying a '91 Camaro

as for the crate eng it mayb a crate i c what ur talking about being old but most creat eng come where u have to add a water pump,intake,alt exc.. so that stuff looks old and could b old but the block mayb new,, if u where wondering if the RS came with a v8 yes they did it was an option. the car looks clean. if u r concerding about the block being new check the compression it should b between 120 and 130 and hold there. if u want and can get a carfax report and if they had a shop put the eng in it might b on there. otherwise i would check the car out close check the undercarge, like for leaks, check oil make sure it looks clean no metal shavings, the other thing u can dois ask lots of ?'s and judge there responise cause if theres something wrong with it there not saying u might find out buy how they respond to all ur ?'s ask them anything thing and everything u might want to know about the car like when the blakes where done last and was done to them what has broke on the car and if they have taken care of the car they should know all of it without much thought, ask how offten they drove it where did it every break down on trips . U know thats just the way i am when i buy new cars plus i would offer them 2k u know hagle a lil get a better deal if u can... well i hope all this rambling has helped ya a bit and good luck let us know hat ya do and we will help when ever we can...

Old 03-20-2008, 03:17 PM
1st Gear Member

oh ya as for headers and stright pipestheres not much room for good true dauls if that what u r asking it will open it up but if u have smog laws which i don't know i live in wy make sure u get the right ones so u can pass. as for changing out to manaul its not worth it on the wallet or time, u can but ur better off just buying on that has it already if its that big of a deal to u.. now if ur wondering about the laws and what u can or cant do go to the dmv and ask the can tell u where to look but the biggest and really about the only la u have to worry about is smog and noise laws the rest is not a big deal...

Old 03-20-2008, 04:19 PM
2nd Gear member

Considering the way the interior and exterior look, Id say buy it, that is absolutley immaculate for a third gen, and you can always just run the casting number on the block to find out w/e it is you wanna know.

Old 03-20-2008, 04:25 PM
Overdrive Member

yeah it looks like mabye he swapped in a 350 from another camaro, it doesnt look like a new crate engine, as far as the manual swap, it is possible but of course its going to cost you, its not a cheap thing to do, but i agree with red the interior and exterior are in great shape id go for it

Old 03-20-2008, 05:13 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Alright well I did a little test on the car with carfax. It said it had 19 services. Sounds like alot to me.... If I do come to buy it I will spend the 25 to actually see whats going on with the sucker. It did infact come with the L03 motor (305ci TPI) but they switched it with this 350. Probably a noob question but is this 350 a TPI? Is there a website I could visit to get my laws for Virginia? I HATE going to the DMV.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:23 PM
Overdrive Member

well once the hood is open you can tell, if its carbed its the tbi, and 19 services ? depends what kind of services it was

Old 03-20-2008, 06:06 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ORIGINAL: Alih

well once the hood is open you can tell, if its carbed its the tbi, and 19 services ? depends what kind of services it was
If my trucks sells by this weekend (only by BIN though) I will probably look at it sunday. I will keep everyone posted. I hope the services are services like oil changes and brakes if not man...

Old 03-20-2008, 07:43 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I am not seeing what everyone else is seeing. Maybe I am to critical or maybe I am just a mean old fart.

1.) Seat: Driver seat shows damage, Spring damage and cloth damage. There is material fraying in the normal spots but the camera angle hides most of it. It looks to me like the seats have been professionally cleaned. You don't get that kind of wear and no dirt.I'll bet money there is a reason that passenger seat is pulled all the way forward. Also note the seat belt guide is pulled out of the head rest. The seat also shows some signs of water damage. In a T-top that is a big surprise.

2.) I assume since I see the sensors still hooked up it has the original TBI not TPI. At some point the engine vent system was removed. In some areas that is an emission issue. Water pump was replaced as some point with a cheapyAuto zone pump. I would be a little worried about the thermostat area it looks like it has been leakingbut it is tough to tell from the image. It could just be some corrosion. The belt show some hvy wear on the front edge. That could be that the belt is worn out or there is a alignment issue.

3.)There are several places on the front end that looked like they where fixed with a rattle can. White hides damage, they seem to have taken advantage of that.

All these things I have noted are all normal wear and the car seems to be worth the $2500 but IMO it is not an amazing deal. It is a good deal. If you really want a standard transthen wait. I see the 305 5-speed RS all the time. You can find one in that condition for around the same price. You will have over $1200 in the conversion if you have someone else do it. This was not some car guys Garage kept baby. This car has been in and out of service and has not always seen Grade A repairs.

At your age you really should have a pro look at the car before you buy it. He does not have to be a Camaro expertjust a real mechanicnot a friend of a buddy who knows a lot about cars. There are things a real mechanic knows how to check for the average Joe car guy does not.

Oh and BTW I bought my first Camaro one month before my 16th birthday. It was a 74 LT Z28 clone with a4 speed for $400. At the time I already had a 70 Charger I was restoring. I owned that car until my wife had our first baby. Good luck

Old 03-20-2008, 09:18 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ORIGINAL: Gorn

I am not seeing what everyone else is seeing. Maybe I am to critical or maybe I am just a mean old fart.

1.) Seat: Driver seat shows damage, Spring damage and cloth damage. There is material fraying in the normal spots but the camera angle hides most of it. It looks to me like the seats have been professionally cleaned. You don't get that kind of wear and no dirt.I'll bet money there is a reason that passenger seat is pulled all the way forward. Also note the seat belt guide is pulled out of the head rest. The seat also shows some signs of water damage. In a T-top that is a big surprise.

2.) I assume since I see the sensors still hooked up it has the original TBI not TPI. At some point the engine vent system was removed. In some areas that is an emission issue. Water pump was replaced as some point with a cheapyAuto zone pump. I would be a little worried about the thermostat area it looks like it has been leakingbut it is tough to tell from the image. It could just be some corrosion. The belt show some hvy wear on the front edge. That could be that the belt is worn out or there is a alignment issue.

3.)There are several places on the front end that looked like they where fixed with a rattle can. White hides damage, they seem to have taken advantage of that.

All these things I have noted are all normal wear and the car seems to be worth the $2500 but IMO it is not an amazing deal. It is a good deal. If you really want a standard transthen wait. I see the 305 5-speed RS all the time. You can find one in that condition for around the same price. You will have over $1200 in the conversion if you have someone else do it. This was not some car guys Garage kept baby. This car has been in and out of service and has not always seen Grade A repairs.

At your age you really should have a pro look at the car before you buy it. He does not have to be a Camaro expertjust a real mechanicnot a friend of a buddy who knows a lot about cars. There are things a real mechanic knows how to check for the average Joe car guy does not.

Oh and BTW I bought my first Camaro one month before my 16th birthday. It was a 74 LT Z28 clone with a4 speed for $400. At the time I already had a 70 Charger I was restoring. I owned that car until my wife had our first baby. Good luck
Sounds like me with the charger. I bought a 54 55 dodge to restore. Well I decided I need a real car rather than a show so I decided to sell it. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...:IT&ih=015 Nice eh? Really low price considering what it is. :P

Anyway back on topic, thanks to your advice I am just going to wait for a manual as that is what I really want. I'm looking everywhere but manuals seem to be rare with the V-8.... My luck.

Quick Reply: Thinking about buying a '91 Camaro