General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Suzuki Sidekick problem. help please

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 05:51 PM
2nd Gear member
Default Suzuki Sidekick problem. help please

Hey i got myself a suzuki sidekick 4 door 4x4 as my DD. Sorry for not going to the suzuki forums, but they never replie to my posts, and you guys are smarter anyway.

So, at the moment the sidekick is about 1hr away from me, and i just bought it officialy today. When i went to look at it, and see how it ran, it started, but it was only running on 2 cylinders. Engine is a 1.6L 16valve L4 fuel injected engine. So, it was running on 2 cylinders, so i went to canadian tire, and picked up some plugs for it, i installed the 2 plugs first that were in the dead cylinders, then started it, and it idled flawless after that, but i hit the gas and then it seemed like it was on 2 cylinders again. So i put new plugs in the other cylinders aswell hoping this would fix it. But no, it idles fine, but then once given a bit of gas, it sounds like its on 2 cylinders. Reving it up high, sounds fine and smooth, but it will come back and sound like its running on 2 cylinders again. I shut it off, turn it on, and it idles GREAT, But a when i hit the pedle a bit... it sounds like crap and the engine shakes and rpms go back down to like 200, good idle is 800, like its at when i just start it and leave it.

So, i am hoping it is the distributer. But i dont know anything about EFI( electronic fuel injection ). So any thoughts on what the problem could be would be great!

Thanks,
c4maro

Old 02-07-2009, 05:56 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

Before diggin into the dizzy, which could be spendy, I would look at easy stuff first. I think you are right in thinking fuel delivery. Did it sit for a while? maybe some fresh fuel and a new filter, or atleast check the filter might help.

Old 02-07-2009, 05:58 PM
Overdrive Member

whats the year on it ? it may or may not have a distributor.are you positive it was only running on 2 cylinders ? any SES lights ?

Old 02-07-2009, 06:04 PM
2nd Gear member

Check engine light is on, yes im 100% the cylinders wernt running becuase i pulled the spark plug wires on 2 of the cylinders and it made no differnece. And yes, its been sitting for 3 years. lol.

I guess i gotta get it towed to my place. I just hope its a simple fix, sounds like it should be. oh, its a 1993, and ya, its gota dist.

Old 02-07-2009, 06:07 PM
Overdrive Member

try and get a live data scan tool hooked up to it, that will tell you pretty much everything thats goin on while its running

Old 02-07-2009, 06:10 PM
2nd Gear member

This is why i hate fuel injection... lol. Whats a live scan, sorry im clueless when it comes to computers and cars.

Old 02-07-2009, 06:14 PM
Overdrive Member

its like a scan tool but with more data given to you, you can check how all sensors are running,engine temp,turn the fans on and off with the device,etc

Old 02-07-2009, 06:26 PM
2nd Gear member

Do i buy this device? Or take it into a shop and they do it?

I think first im going to check the fuel filter.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:13 PM
2nd Gear member

Hahahha i asked a guy on suzuki-forums.com, and he told me to replace the 2 bad cylinders... LOL

Old 02-07-2009, 11:27 PM
Overdrive Member

yeah that should work out great...most likely take it to a shop cause the scanners are pretty pricey

Quick Reply: Suzuki Sidekick problem. help please