General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Stereo shorted???!!! PLZ HELP ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 05:40 PM
Default Stereo shorted???!!! PLZ HELP ASAP

Ok, i know i do not own a Camaro anymore, but i still read up on the forums, and this is a problem for my car that NOBODY has a solution for.

I drive a 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT

Yesterday i was installing a new stereo, and i could not get sound, so i went inside to get something, and my friend took a couple crimps off and decided to cross wires o try n get sound. Needless to say he blew a fuse.

No big deal, right? Well thats exactly what i thought.

I replaced the fuse, started the car up, and now it makes an awful noise (he noise you get when you touch to jumper cables together)

It only makes the noise when the key is in the furthest position, b4 being started, and it also makes the noise after you shut the car off. for about 5 seconds.

The noise seems to be coming from underneath the throttle body, and it almost echos by the fuse box (i dont know if the fuse box one is my imagination, but the sounds are simotanious)

Any help is appreciated......

Old 11-04-2007, 06:10 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: Stereo shorted???!!! PLZ HELP ASAP

does your stereo work now?? Check your fuseable links, and make sure you don't have any loose wires from your install.

Old 11-04-2007, 06:24 PM
Overdrive Member

Get a new buddy. NOW! Before its too late. I have had that kind of buddy that would screw up my ****. And check other fuses and relays.

Old 11-04-2007, 06:36 PM
2nd Gear member

[&:] your gonna need to find a wiring diagram, also try to isolate and figure out whats part exactly is making the noise by the throttle body. id suspect the noise by the fuse box is probably a relay thats not happy with your new wiring choices kurt

Old 11-04-2007, 06:39 PM

The stereo is no longer in there because i could not complete the install.

No bare wires are shwoing now.
All fuses are good.
Battery terminals and ground are good.

Im out of ideas

Old 11-04-2007, 06:46 PM
2nd Gear member

so youve still got the noises going on?? you really need to find the source of the noise you should be able to feel or see where its coming from. the fuse box noise could also be a circuit breaker but im not familiar enough with a 2001 eclipse to say for sure this is where the wiring diagram would be handy kurt

Old 11-04-2007, 06:48 PM
Overdrive Member

Put a piece of hose to your ear and the other end find the noise. Feel for bad vibrations on something you suspect is making the noise.

Old 11-04-2007, 06:57 PM

I will have to do that tomorrow. becuase i do not have someone to turn the key over while i listen.

And i belive this may be a coinsidence, becasue the boys form the Eclipse forums say it sounds like the starter is going bad. But it is goign to the shop tuesday. And im just going to have them put the Headunit in.

This head unit is just temporary, until i save up enough for my system. (For my system i want a custom box for 2 JL Audio W7's and 2 12's.........and a DVD player, sounds crazy but it will get done sooner or later)

-I think that will be pretty funny because i HATE rap, so i will be cruising around thumping to some Skynard...lol (sorry to go off topic)

Old 11-04-2007, 07:12 PM
Overdrive Member

I took the back seat out of my Fiat and built an enclosure that fills the area with 12" woofers amps in the trunk and such. Back then I listened to a lot of Van Halen.

Old 11-04-2007, 07:32 PM

Hell yea.....im only 16, and my mom always cracks jokes on me about how i listen to her music when she was my age....lol

Quick Reply: Stereo shorted???!!! PLZ HELP ASAP