General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Specialty Camaro Manufacturers

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 09:31 PM
Default Specialty Camaro Manufacturers

I have often wondered why Camaros and TransAms never had the specialty manufacturers like Mustangs do. Like Mustang has Saleen, Roush, Steeda, Shelby, etc etc. And Camaro used to have Yenko. Why did no one ever do this? I'm sure the marketwas there when they were being built, as I am sure it will be there when the new one is released.

And this not a Mustang vs Camaro thread, so I don't really care to hear which you think is better.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:34 PM
Ninja Administrator
Default RE: Specialty Camaro Manufacturers

SLP built the 4th gen SS models similar to how roush does cars. but maybe its becausefactory mustangsare slow as ***** making the need for specialty cars greater than for the fbodies

Old 12-07-2008, 09:40 PM
Banned

yeah, thats what it is

Old 12-07-2008, 09:40 PM
2nd Gear member

Oh spec.[&o] (You are right though. :P )

Old 12-07-2008, 09:43 PM

::Sigh::

I should have known the maturity level was not here for a post of this sort. [8D]

I just think a 4th Gen camaro or transam would have been sick with a specialty manufacturer adding some finesse touches to it. (I owned a couple.) And I think the new camaro would be wicked with a kick in the pants power upgrade and some body works.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:55 PM
Ninja Administrator

I havent been a fan of any of the body work ive seen on these cars...... there is a very limited visual aftermarket for these cars, kinda just limited to hoods. the shape of the car doesnt lend itself well to bodykits or ducktails. however i expect a pretty massive visual aftermarket for the new cars, and prehaps the return of yenko

Old 12-07-2008, 10:00 PM

ORIGINAL: SpecterGT260

I havent been a fan of any of the body work ive seen on these cars...... there is a very limited visual aftermarket for these cars, kinda just limited to hoods. the shape of the car doesnt lend itself well to bodykits or ducktails. however i expect a pretty massive visual aftermarket for the new cars, and prehaps the return of yenko
I agree totally. The cheese wedge shape doesn't really flow with any kind of flaring body kit, whereas a Mustang is boxy, and is able to pull off a kit better. But still, there's always room for a suspension tweak or a power upgrade, or better yet, a combination of the 2. If they were to do something like a Yenko, I'd put off my search for a Viper and seriously consider looking the Camaro over again. (Please don't let the MF crowd see that. lol) But back to what I was saying... a 4th Gen F built to match suspension an power with a Saleen E car would be SEX.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:09 PM
Ninja Administrator

the upgrades in the suspension of the WS6 and SS are fairly impressive. I would have to look up skid-pad results, but its more than you would expect. I, however, just went all out nd got QA1 coil overs. Im a bigger fan of buying cheap and getting parts that outperform any factory upgrade package

Old 12-07-2008, 10:11 PM

I understand that customization is a big thing, as you get exactly what you are looking for butI still think a power and suspension enhanced F-Body would have been a success.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:18 PM
Ninja Administrator

thats what the SS and ws6 were supposed to be. nothing as drastic as a saleen E (no factory superchargers from chevy), and in reality we know that the power increase was less than advertised. but its very similar to a saleen s281, or a roush stage 2. only difference is they stayed much more closely affiliated with GM than those cars did. the ss and ws6 both received upgraded blistein (sp?) shocks and struts, functional ram air, and different catback exhaust. from what i understand, the NA s281 and roush 2 have very limited enhancements.

Quick Reply: Specialty Camaro Manufacturers