General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

So many noises!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 08:47 AM
Default So many noises!

So I just bought a 2000 Camaro....YAY!!!!!

But!

Noise #1
I have this squeaking from the front driver side area. I didn't have this noise until I got a tune-up the other day (I changed all the filters, spark plugs, spark plug wires, and flushed the fuel injection). It squeaks almost all the time. When I start the car I can hear it and it's kind of like a *chirping*. When I'm driving, it's more like a constant squeal. It does it regardless of if I'm moving or stopped, morning and afternoon. Also, I noticed this morning when I have the clutch down, it stops squeaking. HMMM?! I did some clutch tests yesterday that I saw on some forums (Being in 1st gear and letting off the clutch to see if the engine stops, shifting gears in general). It seems like my clutch is fine...it doesn't slip or anything...sometimes I have a hard time getting in reverse though... I'm going to bring it back to the place (Pep Boys), but I don't know if I 100% trust them...hmmm!

Noise #2
So my engine is pretty silent (minus the squealing of course) when I'm driving. But, when I turn on the air conditioner it gets really loud! Like you could hear it pumping I guess! Just...loud compared to the normal sound of the engine. Also, it kinda feels like I dont have as much power with the Air Con on. I live in Florida *ugh* so I try to drive without it on, but it's miserable! Is it the AC compressor? Or maybe do I just need a recharge? I'm hoping it's cheap ><

Old 07-08-2009, 01:51 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

#1: Sounds like it could be your throwout bearing, since the squeak goes away when you push the clutch pedal down. But the clutch will still engage/disengage like normal, unless the bearing eventually locks up or turns to toast. Then you'll hear a real bad grinding noise when you touch the clutch pedal.
#2: Yes, the engine will sound a little different when the A/C switches on. And yes, the A/C does rob the engine of some power. Note: if you're going to race somebody at the stoplight, switch the A/C off, it makes a big difference.
Now, if you're hearing a bad "groaning" noise when the A/C switches on, then the compressor is most likely going bad.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 07-08-2009 at 01:54 PM.