General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Road noise in the back seat

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 10:06 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Road noise in the back seat

Are all Camaro's loud in the back seat? I mean I know you're sitting right next to the tires back there but my 99 sounds like there's no fender wells... and if I remember right, the 82 that I used to have was the same way. Is this just something I have to deal with or is there something I can do.. different tires maybe?

Old 11-03-2007, 10:29 AM
Tech Droid
Default RE: Road noise in the back seat

That be how they be. No one is going to sit in the back seat long enough to worry about the noise. They will be complaining about their joints first, and ask to get out. lol

Old 11-03-2007, 10:53 AM
1st Gear Member

ya its normal the reason being is the fact that ur tires r right there and in a normal car u have a trunk and a backseat to dampen the noise, its worse if u have t-tops you just have to crank up the muisc and enjoy the power is about the only way to go.

Old 11-03-2007, 11:57 AM
2nd Gear member

[8D] pete what exactly have you been doing in the back seat?? ya they will all be a bit noisier than your grandmas sedan. there are a few things you can do to help maybe mitigate some of the noise though. your tire selection has a little to do with it, the longer wearing or higher warranteed mileage tires are made of a harder longer wearing compounds this in turn is transferred as noise into the car. softer, grippier, low or no warranty tires will be quieter. another possible helper can be undercoating for both the underside and inside the wheel wells( you can do this, rattle cans,or a dealer usually has the stuff) you can also try i think its called dyna mat or other noise suppressing stick on sheet available at your local stereo store and elsewhere. place on inside wheel well and surrounding area. theres some proven ideas for noise reduction i guess what you chose to try will depend on budget and how much it annoys you but the cars are not known for being quiet, thats your grandmas sedan, they're known for performance kurt

Old 11-03-2007, 12:02 PM
2nd Gear member

[:@] short side walls or low profile tires dont help any the side wall act as a cushion for both noise and road irregularities. no sidewall =no dampening or isolating

Old 11-03-2007, 05:52 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Id go with Dynamat!

Old 11-05-2007, 07:34 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks for all your replies.. Just out of curiosity, are the vette's the same way? Not that I'm gonna go right out and buy one tomorrow.. Just curious.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:00 PM
3rd Gear Member

I used the half inch thick material that they use in couches. Yeah couches! You can go a place that sells upholstery material, carpets like I did and I purchased this stuff for only a few bucks and use the spray glue and it made a huge difference in the interior sound. Ok I'm cheap but it works and is less expensive than d-mat.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:18 AM
2nd Gear member

[&:] i have had a chance to flog an 07 vette and it seemed the road noise from the rear tires wasnt that noticable. several possibilities sticky soft tires and no back seat with some distance from tires to passenger compartment. or maybe i just didnt notice it cause i had my foot in it and was having too much fun