General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Rear end slop???

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 02:33 PM
Default Rear end slop???

Hey yall! I've had my Camaro for 2 years this November, its a 2000, 3.8, manual 5 speed with a Z28 drive shaft. Isnt that strange? But when I get a new car I try to learn it inside and out and lets face it this girl isnt a pro mechanic. Currenty for the past YEAR my rear end has been howling like crazy, seems to be getting louder,I had two bent rims and replaced them it still howels. the tires are a little wore but not enough to make this noise. If you throw your ear to the rear of the car while drivingit sounds like it is coming from the wheel wells. I jacked up the rear end this weekend to see if it was wheel bearings but everything was secure, reasurch tells me it is bearings but I am not sure which ones and how many diff bearing there are besides wheel, axle, and pinion. Took a sharp right turn the other night and I heard some steel getting slapped/clunking around in the rear.Sounded just like a steel disk hitting some other metal. Now I have no clue what is going on back there but it doesnt sound good, there is little vibrations but probably mostly to do with the wore tire. Would anyone beable to tell me is something is broken or if I just need some greese. Thanks all the time!

Old 09-03-2008, 04:15 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner
Default RE: Rear end slop???

ORIGINAL: sammyjo
Currenty for the past YEAR my rear end has been howling like crazy, seems to be getting louder,...
Oh man....I ain't touching that one with a ten-foot pole!
You didn't say how many miles, but let's guess it has many? TWO bent rims? Whatever force bent the rims, certainly doesn't do your rearend any favors either. I've also had the same thing you describe. Outer bearing wear (at the wheels) isn't uncommon, you could even have a bent axle. As the axle bearings wear, more undue force gets put onto the inner end of the axle, at the carrier, and can cause an incorrect mesh between the ring & pinion gears, resulting in a "howl". Your problem isn't a do-it-yourselfer type of fix.

Old 09-03-2008, 05:04 PM
Default RE: Rear end slop???

I bought the car with 56000 miles on it and it now has 93000 miles. The rims were bent when I bought new tires not even a month after it was bought. I have a shop with plenty of tools but if something has to be pressed than I wont be able to do it. This problem sounds bad which is probably why I could never find it. Any idea on a price? $500, $1000, $2000? Your car is Hot! Do you know if the 3.8 can beat the 350 ina race? I did this weekend but not sure if my oponet was giveing it all she had. Hehe!