General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Rear end locked temporarily??

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 12:59 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Rear end locked temporarily??

So I decided to take out my nearly finished 70 Camaro for a really quick spin around the block. It had just sprinkled a little bit so the road was a tad damp(if that makes a difference). I pulled into the garage, then backed out to reposition it! But then when I tried to pull back in the second time, it wouldn't budge! It's a stick so I even revved it up to 3000 and slowly let out the clutch, but it just stalled! Then I jacked up the rear end, made sure it was in neutral and the ebrake was off, and tried to move the rear wheels by hand. It moved maybe 1/4" each way. I could barely shimmy the wheels. This might be becausey lugs werent torqued down correctly, but I dont know what else it could be. With the wheels in the air I put it in first and tried to get em to spin under engine power and they wouldn't budge. The weird thing is, when i put it in reverse it spun just fine! Then i put it back into first and it was working perfectly! What the heck could have caused this and will it happen again??

I'm just a 17 year old kid so my only car experience is my Frame off restoration of this car. I can trouble shoot a lot of stuff but I'm stumped here. Any help would be great because this is gunna be my daily driver very soon and I can't have this happen on the street!

Also if it helps I have drums in the rear, m20 trans, 8.2 rearend, 355 gears, posi

Thank you so much for any help! It's greatly appreciated

Old 12-15-2012, 01:28 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

sounds like the transmission was in two gears at once. what shape is the linkage in, is it lose, sloppy?

Old 12-15-2012, 01:38 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Just tightened the linkage because I got a brand new shifter and it seemed to be flawless. If it was in two gears at once, would the shifter still move freely in neutral and shift into other gears smoothly? Because it was shifting from 1st to reverse just fine

Old 12-15-2012, 01:57 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

no, at least the few times its happened to me it wouldnt. the e brake was not on? rearend making any funny noises?

Old 12-15-2012, 02:02 PM
In the Staging Lanes

The ebrake was off for sure. When the wheels finally started going again in reverse it was up in the air and I thought I heard a faint noise, but thought it was just due to the fact that the wheels were off the ground. It has a brand new carrier and axles put in by my dads friend who owns a shop (again if that helps)

Old 12-15-2012, 02:29 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

give the shop a call and tell em what happened, they should want to have a look at it.

Old 12-15-2012, 02:35 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Sounds like your rear brakes locked up. If your initial adjustment is too tight, the brakes will heat up, swell, and wedge against the drums. Check how freely, or not, the wheels turn now that things have cooled off. Also could be the e-brake cables are rusted stiff. Even if you think the e- brake is released, it may not be.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 12-15-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:38 PM
In the Staging Lanes

That sounds plausible because I haven't really adjusted them correctly. The ebrake cables are brand new so I'm pretty sure it wasn't that. Right now my pads are roughly adjusted to the point that I can still turn them easily by hand, but they still drag a little. But would A 1 minute drive on relatively flat surface be enough to get the brakes hot? I did decelerate quickly from about 50

Old 12-15-2012, 03:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Could be that you have a broken tooth on the ring gear or some one left a piece of metal some place, then it got caught up between the ring gear and the pinion. When you spun the wheels in reverse the chunk dropped back down in the gear lube and it worked fine. Pull the cover and check the teeth on the gears and look for some metal in the bottom of the gear lube.

Old 12-15-2012, 03:46 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

From your description, you have them adjusted right. You want to be able to just hear the shoes drag on the drum. Shouldn't have much turning resistance. You sure nothing is hanging up inside? Were both sides equally hard to turn? Gotta be able to feel what's happening at one wheel without the other side throwing you off, if its only one side hanging up.

Quick Reply: Rear end locked temporarily??