General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

ran out of oil, now starter can't turn engine over.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 08:43 PM
Default ran out of oil, now starter can't turn engine over.

My son left for a trip to grandma's house without adding oil to an already low 350. He called to say the car was rattling like valves with no oil. I advised him to pull over and check/add oil. He did but could not get the starter to crank the engine afterward. I got there to confirm that the starter is trying to spin up the engine. They described some smoke coming in just before the engine noisily limped in to Albertson's

Broken Rod?- I'm leaning this way because it is not cranking at all.
Broken Valve? I'm guessing not as it probably would crank.

Any ideas where to start?

Ed

Old 08-02-2010, 09:29 PM
4th Gear Member

Seized bearing or spun bearing letting the rod catch on the internals of the engine. Can you rotate it backwards any at all?

Old 08-02-2010, 10:58 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

No oil? The engine welded itself together. Even if you were to break it free, it will be a noisy oil user worse than it was before.
Sorry, but your son learned the hard way the importance of maintaining an engine that is already known to use oil.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:20 PM
December 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
No oil? The engine welded itself together. Even if you were to break it free, it will be a noisy oil user worse than it was before.
Sorry, but your son learned the hard way the importance of maintaining an engine that is already known to use oil.

yep what he said!! no oil = no more motor
start looking for a new or rebuilt one!

Old 08-02-2010, 11:22 PM
December 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

easy way to tell if its roached pull the dip stick and smell that nasty burnt oil smell, once you have you never forget that smell!!!

Old 08-03-2010, 01:44 AM

I pulled the spark plugs- all of them and tried to turn the crank- it is not rotating either direction!

What is the best place to start dis-assembly? Should I assume bearings and pull the oil pan for a look? Should I just hoist the engine out and then look into it? I pulled a 350 out of a C20 3 years ago and swapped in a crate. I was just about to sell that truck... hmmm, maybe I see a swap in the near future- I digress, I don't know what it is yet.

Where should I look first to determine damage?

Old 08-03-2010, 03:26 AM

My best guess would be that it siezed a piston or several, happens often on engines ran out of oil. If this is the case like the other dude said you'll need an engine or need to totally rebuild that engine. Bad stuff...

Old 08-03-2010, 08:41 AM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by EdPDX
I pulled the spark plugs- all of them and tried to turn the crank- it is not rotating either direction!

What is the best place to start dis-assembly? Should I assume bearings and pull the oil pan for a look? Should I just hoist the engine out and then look into it? I pulled a 350 out of a C20 3 years ago and swapped in a crate. I was just about to sell that truck... hmmm, maybe I see a swap in the near future- I digress, I don't know what it is yet.

Where should I look first to determine damage?
I would assume the worst,complete dis-assembly is in order here.
I would suspect both fried bearings and scored or melted pistons,in other words this motor is now junk and in need of a complete rebuild or replacement.
Camaro69 called it right,lesson learned the hard way.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:39 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

what yr camaro we talking about? it would be cheaper to find a good used motor and do a rebuild on it or pick up a rebuilt long block. damage has most likely been done to the heads, crank, cam, block and pistons. you will not know if any of these parts will need replacing or machine work untill its taken apart.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:19 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

To lock up the engine like that, serious internal damage was done. It has to come out any way you slice it.
Fighting to get the pan off while it's still in the car would just be a wasted effort.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 08-03-2010 at 10:22 AM.

Quick Reply: ran out of oil, now starter can't turn engine over.