General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Questions about setting up my HEI distributor??

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 12:59 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Questions about setting up my HEI distributor??

I want to set my stock HEI distributor up for better performance. I drive the car regularly. I was looking at THIS kit.

My understanding (from what I've read) is that my distributor has 20° of centrifugal advance so if I wanted to set my total advance at 36°, I'd have to set my initial advance at 16° so the two together would give me a 36° of total advance. Is this the case? I've also read that I only want about 12° of vacuum advance. Is this also true? And that I want full/total advance by 2800 to 3000 RPM's.

I'm going to have to do this as a "trial and error" process. I've never done this before. My friend has a good adjustable timing light/gun so I won't have to use timing tape. My timing tab/pointer is easy to read and is the harmonic balancer.

What is the best way to start this process? I was going to put the adjustable vacuum advance canister on it and then plug the vacuum line that go's to it and get back to this when I'm done with the total advance. Set my initial advance at 16°. Them play with the different weights until I get full/total advance by 2800 to 3000 RPM's. Then go back and adjust the vacuum advance until it pings/knocks then back it off a tad so I get good part throttle performance.

Now I may be totally off on my way of thinking here so if I am, I'd appreciate be pointed in the right direction.

Thanks, NYH1!

Old 08-17-2009, 03:29 PM
3rd Gear Member

Disconnect the tube for the vacuum advance to set initial timing and I wouldn't use an adjustable timing light if you can get by without it. A standard timing light would be just fine. I've never used one of the adjustable ones but I have heard that electronic ignitions can throw them off. Especially MSD with the multiple firing per cylinder deals. I also prefer timing tape since it's easy to read and being able to see accurate readings up in the 30's and 40's since most stock balancers don't read that high and end in the teens sometimes.

Make sure that your engine can cut off and restart while it's hot also with advancing. The hotter the engine is the harder it is to start with advanced timing. If you have high advanced timing and trouble starting a good set of battery cables and a strong battery (800+ cca) should solve your problem also. I'm able to start mine hot at 32-34 degrees locked out advance with a stock starter no problem.

Sounds like you're pretty much right on the rest of the stuff. Good luck.