General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Question about a carb

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 09:50 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Question about a carb

Ok my first question is has any one used a spacer under thier carb either wide open one or 4 hole one. Is it worth getting one for my car or not, will it make the car run any better. And the second question is if you are driving down the road and punch it the car like studers and then goes could this be fixed if I put a spacer on. Some back ground the timing is set right, I changed the power valve and the only thing I havent done yet was to chang the jets in the front to bigger. I really need your input. Thanks

Old 07-06-2007, 12:46 AM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: Question about a carb

If your car stumbles its not because you don't have a spacer. You need to tune your carb.

Old 07-06-2007, 01:44 AM
Overdrive Member

I have a friend with a '76 vette and an Edelbrock 650cfm carb, we ended up putting a spacer on it because the heat from the motor was boiling the gas and making it run a bit worse. It cleared some of that up, but I agree with Mike, you need to tune.

Old 07-06-2007, 02:23 PM
2nd Gear member

[X(] how big is the carb, what size is the motor. first thought is a lean condition with throttle change(power valve/ accelorator pump) help, been awhile since I dont do holley prefer carter, edelbrock and quadrajet... adding a spacer plate will only aggravate this problem as it will increase the manifold volume giving the carb a weaker vacuum signal. what kind of distributor do you have, does it have vacuum advance?? is it set up on a ported vacuum source or manifold?? how are your tune up parts?? remember when you hit the gas unless your carb is working right( obviously not at this point) you are leaning out the fuel/air and the spark will be looking for someplace else to go. give us some more info kurt

Old 07-06-2007, 02:54 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Ok Sorry I should of said the rest of this stuff first. Its a 355 motor with a holley 670 street avenger. I have a hole msd ignition system with no vacume advance. I have already replaced the power valves and I put a 3.5 in the front. The next step to take is to up the jets in the front to a little better. The car runs fine besides when u first stomp on it reall quick.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:03 PM
Overdrive Member

Is it off idle stomp that is bad or when your at part throttle and stomp on it?

Old 07-06-2007, 10:16 PM
In the Staging Lanes

It does it off idel and when u are just driving down the road and stomp on it. I just hesitates for a sec and then goes. other then that it runs fine so i would just like to fix that.

Old 07-07-2007, 12:33 AM
1st Gear Member

just a thought,,, i bought a 85 ta someone had put a bigger carb then the stock but left the stock intake on and it did the same thing the itake couldn't handle the gas it was getting all at once, other wise it ran gretjust an ideal maybe it will help........

Old 07-07-2007, 02:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Sounds like the carb definatley needs a tune, id chime in on it but i dont know much about holley carbs.

As far as the spacer or whatever goes, those phelonic spacers work great, i belive you want to go with 4 hole pattern.

Old 07-07-2007, 01:12 PM
2nd Gear member

[X(] remember that ignition sysytems without a vacuum advance set up are meant more for being wound up and are not known for thier responsiveness when suddenly mashing on the gas especially at low rpms. is this problem more of a shudder and spark misfiring(backfiring carb or exhaust) or a bog with lack of responsiveness. what torque converter do you have stock or aftermarket with a raised rpm. jets are cheap you can try those but were trying to find out which system is causing the problem ignition or carb kurt

Quick Reply: Question about a carb