General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Problem with my car.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 04:48 PM
Default Problem with my car.

Well my car is giving me problems again. I started having an eratic idle about 3 days ago. Before that the car was running pretty much fine as far as i could tell and feel. The car has recently had a tune up, less then 1000 miles ago and i had new plugs , wires cap and rotor installed. I would notice about 3 days ago then when sitting at a light my idle would start to jump up and down (bouncing up and down) and sometimes it would catch and begin to run ok and other times not. Well i took the car out yesterday on the highway and when i went to give it gas (hard exceleration) the car would feel like it was picking up fine but then it would bog out and loose power, it did that about 3 times and then finally it did it again but stalled out totally. I would have to turn the ignition key off and back on to start it up and it would start up fine but when i tried to take off it would stall again. it did this about 4 or 5 times until i just cruised with it back home very slowly. The only thing i did since the car had a tuneup about a week ago was adjusted my throttle cable that controls the tranny shifting. but it seemed like it was fine for a few days before this started happening. My check engine light did come on when the car stalled twice but went back out when i restarted the car. I have the car in the shop now and there having trouble finding the problem. I was thinking maybe a idle air control valve but i dunno. Any help ? thanks in advance. by the way its a 90 camaro with a 350tpi and its an automatic. Since i have replaced the IAC sensor and im having the same problem. My Fuel pressure is fine also.

Old 01-16-2005, 06:35 PM
Default RE: Problem with my car.

check for a break in a vacum line, alsoif you have a pcv valve installed change it, when the idle flexes does a check engine light come on?

Old 01-16-2005, 06:36 PM
Default RE: Problem with my car.

also it might be geting to much air. you are injection right? check around the air intake and to the filter, a loose clamp are a hole will cause the mixture to lean out and stall