General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Prep'ng for rear main oil seal replacement, flywheel, and clutch, have questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 04:46 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Default Prep'ng for rear main oil seal replacement, flywheel, and clutch, have questions

Hey all, most of you know that on my trip I found I have a possible rear main seal leaking. I don't know for sure that's what it is, but it's either that or the housing or the oil pan gasket. I've replaced a few clutches in my time on this car and I'm pretty familure with it, last one took me about 2.5-3 hours to do, so that's not an issue. What is an issue is if I have to replace the oil pan gasket, I've never been lucky enough to have to do this yet. And also the dang pilot bearing, everytime I've had problems getting this dang thing out and then the new one in. So...

Any tips for the oil pan gasket if I have to do it, got the fel-pro gasket today.

Any tricks for the pilot bearing, I got a puller lined up, but last time it took a good 20 mins to get that dang thing out. And then I used a socket to push the new one in.

Thanks for any help guys, really appreciate it. Planning on doing this in two weeks and trying to get everything lined up and ready to rock for it.

Old 04-20-2009, 05:10 PM
Overdrive Member

Are you absolutely positive it's the rear main and not the back of the intake manifold?

Old 04-20-2009, 05:45 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Yeah, rear intake was ruled out while I was in TX, asked the mechanic to check that out when he told me there was a leak in the back. He said he believed it was the rear main, and from what I've read about all this, seems like it's either the rear main or the intake that usually leaks.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:29 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by greenarrow
Yeah, rear intake was ruled out while I was in TX, asked the mechanic to check that out when he told me there was a leak in the back. He said he believed it was the rear main, and from what I've read about all this, seems like it's either the rear main or the intake that usually leaks.
the pilot bearing you can pack grease in the hole then take a bolt that is as clost to a perfect fit in the hole as possible slide the bolt in leave space for it to push in further and smack the bolt with a hammer. couple times of that and the pilot bearing will pop right out.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:51 AM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I've heard that, but never had it work for me.

Anyone know what size plug the tail housing takes, I don't want to drain the tranny for this.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:41 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Yea I thought my rear main was leaking as well, come to find out everything is leaking! lol! The back of the intake in front of the intake, valve covers, front main seal looks like its got a small leak and of course.... The rear main as well! I’m in the process of changing out the easy ones first and working to the harder ones! Hey GArrow, please don't forget to let me kno how everything turns out! For I will be in your shoes sooooon!

Old 04-21-2009, 12:52 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Yeah, will do. I gotta good site for you to look at. Just happened to find this guys page and he's in Tucson, so I emailed him and got some info from him. There's guides on his page for this and some other mods he's done.

http://www.pharmacy.arizona.edu/staf...myz28mods.html

Old 04-21-2009, 02:39 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Sweet!! That will help! Thanks Man!!!!

Old 04-21-2009, 03:56 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

np, I would suggest to have everything you need when you go do it. And also take note of the 97+ rear main seal he mentions, I looked it up and it does look like it would work better. Fel-pro sells a rear main housing gasket and rear main seal kit, that's what I got, and also a oil pan gasket. I'm pretty sure mine is just the rear main seal, but I'm going to be prepared for anything. I don't want to pull the tranny twice!

Old 04-22-2009, 01:38 AM
Overdrive Member

You can also check out http://shbox.com/page/index.html he has many good writeups etc.

Quick Reply: Prep'ng for rear main oil seal replacement, flywheel, and clutch, have questions