General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

power windows

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 10:18 PM
2nd Gear member
Default power windows

!)(^@^&$#&$&*)(*^#^%#@!$#$#@!*%#@*&amp ;@# I HATE POWER WINDOWS. I know that seems a little extreme but honestly, are we that lazy that we cant turn a little handle just to raise and lower some glass. Today I tried to change my power window motor in my 97z and WHAT THE HELL was GM thinking riveting that thing in there? I understand that auto manufacturers make more money off of parts sales than car sales, but were rivets entirely necessary? That and the Haynes manual i used for pictures told me i needed to remove the four rivets that are in the center of the door. Wrong, those hold the regulator and track in place, I found that out the hard way. I didnt actually get the power window motor in today, but i spent 7 hours learning about the inner workings of a camaro door. Its rather sharp on the inside if you would ask me. (My hands are bleeding in multiple areas.) Anyways, just wondering if anyone else had the same problem of removing the regulator as opposed to the motor. And how long should one last? I figure the car was 9 years old when i got it and the window motor already needed help just gettin the window down, so i'm just curious how long you think a NAPA rebuilt window motor should last? Its one of those deals where they charge you about 20$ extra core charge and then you bring in your old one so they can basically restore it and then sell it for 60$.