General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Please Help!! Security System Problem

Old 09-09-2005, 09:39 AM
Default Please Help!! Security System Problem

I have a 1991 Camaro RS. I've been having problems getting it to start for a few years now, but as of late it's been getting worse. When I turn the key all I get is a click noise. I can usually get it started after a few trys. Or I usually have to mess with the security switches underneath the dash.

I have always suspected that it was the factory installed security system, but my husband thought it was the starter. We changed the starter twice and nothing has changed.

Has this ever happened to any of you? I would greatly appreciate any help you can give.

Old 09-09-2005, 09:47 AM
Tech Droid
Default RE: Please Help!! Security System Problem

Could also be a bad ignition switch.

Old 09-09-2005, 10:11 AM

My father had a 87 vette with a similar problem, maybe it will help you, what was happening is the ignition was dirty and when he put the key in the system was not getting a good connection to the resitor and would trip the security causing the engine to turn off for 3 min. His solution was to spray out the ignition, I'm not sure if it was with compessed air or some sort of ignition cleaner but it worked, but he did have to do it almost daily.

Old 09-09-2005, 12:39 PM
Tech Droid

As far as I know, the factory security system does not use any switches. You may have an aftermarked security system that may have been isntalled by the dealer, and passed it off as a factory system. When the VAT (factory system is activated} the starter is completely dead, no clicking or any other sound.

Does your key have a resistor inserted into it ??

Old 09-10-2005, 09:44 AM

ORIGINAL: z28pete

As far as I know, the factory security system does not use any switches. You may have an aftermarked security system that may have been isntalled by the dealer, and passed it off as a factory system. When the VAT (factory system is activated} the starter is completely dead, no clicking or any other sound.

Does your key have a resistor inserted into it ??

I have a switch and a button underneath that gives me an option. If the switch is in one position the car won't start. If you have it in the other position the car starts.

You're right about the clicking noise. If I have the kill switch turned on nothing will happen. No clicking noise. The starter is dead.

Yes, My key has some kind of chip or something in it.

Old 09-10-2005, 01:14 PM
Tech Droid

If you have more than one key, you may want to try a different one. I have 2 krys for my car, one always works, the other only works when it feels like it. Also, go to Radio Shack & get a can of contact cleaning spray and shoot it into the key hole in the switch.

Old 09-11-2005, 01:24 PM
Senior Administrator
February 2012 ROTM
May 2012 ROTM

best bet would be to just splice in the resistor. it cost like 3 cents at radio shack. you just need to take the key to a dealer and find out the ohms of the resistor and splice into the orange wire under the dash

Old 09-11-2005, 02:48 PM

ORIGINAL: z28pete

If you have more than one key, you may want to try a different one. I have 2 krys for my car, one always works, the other only works when it feels like it. Also, go to Radio Shack & get a can of contact cleaning spray and shoot it into the key hole in the switch.
I have 2 keys, but it doesn't make a difference which one I use. I'll try the cleaning spray.