General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Please help me!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 07:50 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Please help me!!!

Okay, I am really banging my head on this one.

I bought a 91 camaro RS 305 throttle body injection. When I bought it it was not running. He said that he replaced the computer and drove it just fine. Parked it for 1 year, then it wouldn't start. Said he was sure it was bad / clogged injectors. Symptoms were as follows. No injector pulse. It would start up, but not idle. Only way it would stay running is if I would feather the gas.

I bought it as a project and have some money to put into it so thought i would do it right. I bought new: Battery, Throttle body housing, Injectors, fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel lines, fuel pressure regulator, ICM.

So after that... still nothing. It would crank and start, but no pulse from the injectors.

I then replaced the Coolant temperature sensor. BAM!! she came to life. Started up, idle was good, drove just fine! I drove it for about 10 min, went home, shut the car off. Went to start it again, and no dice. It would crank, but not start. I looked again at the sensor and it looked like it had fouled. So I got another coolant temp sensor and BAM again. Idled, drove and what not, but again after I turned the car off, no re start. It would crank, but not getting the injectors to pulse.

Since then I have replaced: Thermostat (it was bad, was stuck shut, which is what I thought would have fouled the temp sensor). and I got another sensor.

Well, went to start it this time, and it will just crank. No injector pulse. If I put gas directly into the butterfly, it will start and I can keep it going by feathering the gas... almost the same as when I first bought it.

Any ideas? Please help, I am really at a loss!!!!!!

Old 12-15-2011, 01:34 AM

Sounds like something is making the temp sensor foul

Old 12-15-2011, 07:53 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by z28_Tom
Sounds like something is making the temp sensor foul

I checked out the temp sensor and it is in fact working. Tested it with a multimeter and put in in cold then hot water. It is definitely working. I am going to try and bypass my VATS system today and see if that helps. I have read that that can cause a crank and no start if someone has already tried to bypass the starter once.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:23 AM
Banned
Default is the check engine light on?

have you tried to pull the codes? Im sure theres a check engine light on these factory efi systems will tell what sensors out causing the problem instead of guessing (which could get expensive fast)

Old 12-15-2011, 09:38 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I did pull the codes and came up with code 53 and 12. I'm not sure about the 12, but the 53 was related to my VATS system. I bypassed it with a resistor and it started up just fine! What is code 12? After I fixed the VATS resistor it doesn't have the check engine light anymore, but just wondering what it was...

How do you set the timing on these cars? Just loosen the base of the distributor and unplug the tan wire by the passenger side strut mount? IS that right?

Old 12-15-2011, 09:44 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

Code 12 always comes up it basically says the obd is working

Old 12-15-2011, 10:00 PM
In the Staging Lanes

What does the OBD do? Is it just something to ignore?

Old 12-15-2011, 10:05 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

It's the link to the computer

Old 12-15-2011, 10:23 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Awesome! So all thats left for me to do is a tune up. New plugs and wires... oil change... fluid flush.. then good to go! Thanks!