General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

...OK now im PISSED!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 03:31 PM
2nd Gear member
Default ...OK now im PISSED!!!!

okay so i had a Zoom multifriction clutch professionally installed in february, and then 2 days later whenever iam all the way Off of the clutch pedal, not even a little, there is a squeek, and the faster the RPM the fasster the squeak. but as soon as i put ANY pressure on the pedal it goes away. So last week i got a new clutch kit (http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...52683_-1_10669)for free but had it installed by a different shop for $350. the firstZoom clutch did not get properly broken in by myself and i guess that explains thesqueak and the slippage.THE PROBLEM DID NOT GO AWAY WITH THE NEW CLUTCH AND BEARING! i just payed$350for the information that the squeak was not coming from my TO bearing... a TO bearing retainer perhaps? input shaft to tranny?
Please help! any opinions would be greatly appreciated! thanks

Old 05-17-2007, 08:45 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: ...OK now im PISSED!!!!

What is the opinion of both shops that have worked on it?

Noises are a tough one. From front to rear, pilot bushing, shaft, TO bearing, input shaft, front bearing on trans...

Noise wasn't there before, correct?

Old 05-17-2007, 02:14 PM
2nd Gear member

they both said TO bearing but if both the kits includedTO bearings, i have a tough time believing that both the bearings were bad. the noise was not there when i bought the car in Jan. but it only developed after got the first new clutch kit installed(about a week later to be exact). ya i dont no how to explain the noise better, i guess if you picture a high pitched squeak happening once per Revolution (or maybe even 20 revs) and it speeds up as the rpm does. i dunno. thanks though

Old 05-17-2007, 02:27 PM
1st Gear Member

This noise is present at idle and driving?

At a dead stop idling?

At driving speed only?

Old 05-17-2007, 04:39 PM
2nd Gear member

anytime that my foot is off of the pedal it is squeaking, but with the lightest amount of pressure to the pedal and the noise goes away.
for instance if i am at a light in neutral off of the clutch pedal it is squeaking. if i am in gear going down the road with my foot off the pedal it is squeaking.does that help any? thanks

Old 05-18-2007, 07:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Ya, it does. This may sound stupid but you don't have a belt up front making noise do you? Also take a peak at the tin cover at the front of the clutch and trans housing. It's not rubbing on the flywheel is it?

If everything else looks good in and around the engine your pulling that trans again. You might have a dry bearing. Where both kits the same manufacturer, from your post it looks that way? I have seen groups of production for parts be junk and cause headaches. I'd call Zoom's techline and ask them if they have a issue going on. They'll say no, parts guys always do, but how they say no will indicate if they have problems.

Just last week I went threw 4 power steering pumps for a 70 Mach 1 before I had one that made me happy enough to give it back to the owner. First one leaked, second one was siezed tight, third had a dinged up connector for the pressure side, fourth one was finally ok.

Old 05-25-2007, 01:07 PM
2nd Gear member
Default ???stumped???

ok so a friend of mine has a 92 RS wiht the 5 speed and he took his to the same place that i took mine to the second time, and he had the same problem and they said it was the throu\wout bearing so they replaced it. and he still has the same problem. now im REALLY PISSED! could it have something to do with the slave cylinder, the clutch fork, or the tranny mount? im just shoutin' out possabilities. please help if you can. thanks Williesrepair.

Old 05-25-2007, 01:10 PM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: ???stumped???

or perhaps bleed the hydraulic system???? anything will be greatly apprecieated

Old 05-25-2007, 04:31 PM
1st Gear Member

If it's a good shop, that seems reputable. Ask them what they think is going on. That many throwouts that make noise seems odd.

Did you contact Zoom tech support and find out what they have to say? They may have something for you. I can't see a break-in time for a clutch. It does sound like a throwout bearing issue. Ask the shop if they want to try a different brand of bearing. The Zoom one's may be shat. If they have tried a different bearing manufacturer then I'd wonder about the clutch itself. Is the pressure plate mating correctly to the flywheel, is the clutch disc holding correctly. Is the pilot bushing correct from the Zoom kit.

Did both Camaro's have the flywheels turned before the new clutches installed? Turn to far, maybe the bearing is riding in a different spot on the shaft and causing the noise. Not turned, maybe the disc and plate aren't even on the flywheel causing the bearing to ride slightly off-center...

this more and more sounds like a Zoom kit issue. Three clucthes, all three same noise that wasn't there before.

Make a attempt to bleed the clutch? It doesn't seem to be the issue though. that would normally lead to a soft or no pedal issue.

Old 05-25-2007, 04:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok, I did some reading on Zoom's webpage.

Even though this is a bulletin for the S-series and C/K series truck some of the fundemental design issues are the same.

Zoom clutch bulletin

Try to have them check the slave cylinder as it attaches to the clutch fork and make sure it is posistioned right, and get some grease on it to see if it helps. Easy thing to check and try.

Quick Reply: ...OK now im PISSED!!!!