General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Nitrogen in your Tires??

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 01:29 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Sounds like a good deal. Does that include "next day air" shipping?

Old 09-11-2009, 06:58 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Costco does Nitrogen in the tires for free. They say it does not change with temps like air does and it does not blead from the tire as quick. "The guy" told me that if you check your tires twice a month there is no real benifit to it but if your one of those people that don't check your tires air pressure very offen its worth while. I don't think he had a reason to lie becuase like I said they do not charge for it but if you want air you have to request it.

Now we are talking a Costco tire dude so I have no clue how much of that is true. I have had Nitrogen filled tires on the wifes mini van and my Olds for the last 5 years. I think he is right. I rarly have to add air to my tire. But two cases hardly makes it a fact.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:33 AM
Tech Droid

This is from the "Nitrogen Institute" which promotes the use of nitrogen in tires. So consider the source before accepting it as gospel.
http://www.getnitrogen.org/why/index.php

Old 09-11-2009, 10:58 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by Gorn
I think he is right. I rarly have to add air to my tire. But two cases hardly makes it a fact.
I'm sure there's something beneficial to it. But once you have nitrogen in the tire, wouldn't you want to continue with it? Adding air would eventually be counteracting the "benefits" of the nitrogen.

Old 09-11-2009, 11:21 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
I'm sure there's something beneficial to it. But once you have nitrogen in the tire, wouldn't you want to continue with it? Adding air would eventually be counteracting the "benefits" of the nitrogen.
Again from the Costco guy, Adding regular air is not a problem But the benifts will degrade based on %. so if a tire holds 40 CuFt and you add 1 CuFt its a pretty small % of air. I really do not add much air over the life of the tires. Maybe once or twice a year. They do a rotate balance twice a year and I sure they top them off then also. If it gets a leak it goes back to them for fixing.

Old 09-11-2009, 03:02 PM
Ninja Administrator

there is no justifiable reason to say nitrogen doesnt expand or contract like air.... air is already 70% nitrogen and to say that the ~24% oxygen, smaller ammounts of CO2 and trace gasses are the culprits of the expansion is absurd.

while youre at it go get one of those hydrogen generators for your motor

Old 09-11-2009, 04:01 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

You guys are crazy... nitrogen in the tires wont get eaten by the bacteria like real air will.... duhh.

off to viper kill thread... poof

Old 09-11-2009, 04:46 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

What's better yet, is to leave the valve stems out of the wheels altogether. Not only does that give your car a cushier ride, but it also allows the tires to breathe fresh air in and out. And we all know how important breathing fresh air is! Besides, the tires only stay flat on the bottom!

Old 09-11-2009, 06:29 PM

haha glad I passed on it.. maybe I shoulda passed on the extended warranty too

JK haha my tires will be way worn before the regular warranty expires lol

Old 09-11-2009, 07:45 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by SpecterGT260
there is no justifiable reason to say nitrogen doesnt expand or contract like air.... air is already 70% nitrogen and to say that the ~24% oxygen, smaller ammounts of CO2 and trace gasses are the culprits of the expansion is absurd.

while youre at it go get one of those hydrogen generators for your motor
I thought the level of H2O had a direct effect of the transfer and expantion rate.

Quick Reply: Nitrogen in your Tires??