General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

New guy with a 97 Camaro R V6

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 08:27 PM
Default New guy with a 97 Camaro R V6

What's up everyone?

I bought an 97 Camaro RS V6 with 131k miles on it yesterday.

I am not exceptionally gifted when it comes to auto mechanics, and if you all can help me get this thing running decent I would really REALLY appreciate it.

Well the main issue with the vehicle that I would love to get fixed first on it, is that it really has a hard time getting up to speed. When you press the gas, it feels like the car is struggling (or choking). It will accelerate but not nearly like it should. The guy who sold me the car seems like a decent guy and he is willing to help me out with any questions I have. He said the "chevy guy" hooked the computer up to it (because the SES light is on) and that it needed new plugs. That was what the guy told me.

However, on this car there is one spark plug that is a massive ***** to get to, behind a firewall it looks like and will most likely require me to get it done my an actual mechanic who wanted to charge me $180 for just labor on changing the spark plugs and wires.

One other thing, would fuel injection cause a problem like this? Where the car feels bogged down?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Also, anyone know where to get the front emblem for this year?

Old 05-07-2008, 11:12 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: New guy with a 97 Camaro R V6

Try ebay, i have seen some on there. Do you mean the red, white, and blue one? Or the 'RS' on your front fenders?

Old 05-08-2008, 08:58 PM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: New guy with a 97 Camaro R V6

[&:] plugged catalytic converters among many other things will present with the symptoms you describe. since your self described as not exceptionally gifted with mechanics id heartily suggest you get it scanned to find the exact codes before wasting time and money as i dont know of a code for bad spark plugs (computer can not tell you this). try the dealer for the emblem or ebay as ive found one for my 95 at the dealer and ive seen them on ebay as well kurt