General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Need some help with a First gen

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 06:23 PM
Default Need some help with a First gen

Ok so I have been looking around at buing a first gen camaro. So far I found 3 I considering. I have some problems though, 2 of the camaros Im looking at buying do not have engines but do have a clear title which is easier to register. The one that does have the enigne has no title so I think it might be out. So my question is, what kind of newer engine and trans can I put in the camaro? I don't think I'll be going with an original enigne because of cost, just a student right now, so its hard to afford stuff. Its gotta be somethign I can pull from a junker at pullapart or soemthing. Lemme know what you guys think, thanks in advance,

Old 04-06-2009, 09:24 PM
2nd Gear member

Well just about any engine could be made to fit. Small blocks are a dime a dozen, you could find one at a junk yard in any classifieds for a few hundred bucks. And if you ever get the money you can also use the same block to make a drag car. I bought my First gen without and engine and I pulled a 327 out of a Massey Ferguson Combine and it is the powerplant of my car. With a newer engine the only main difference is you need a pcm to go along with the engine.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:47 PM

Ok thanks for the info, also if a car has been made a drag car but has the title can I still register it to drive on the road?

Old 04-08-2009, 09:17 PM
1st Gear Member

A simple answer to your question is, so long as it still has a vin plate that matches the title then yes you shouldn't have any trouble registering it for the road. Now then how much was the car modified to race and how much will have to be done to make it streetable again...

Old 04-08-2009, 11:01 PM
2nd Gear member

Just about anything can be done now a days with enough research and testing i think. My dad and me have been building a 1982 ford courier, trick is we are throwing a 9" rear under it and I have been building up a 289 for a powerhouse. so far we have had to take out modify most of the front bracketing to make the engine fit without having to modify the firewall so we can have a radiator. It has been a fun project.