General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Need Help With My Car

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 03:58 AM
Default Need Help With My Car

Hey all. I am having a strange issue with my camaro. I don't really know what is going on, but I will try to describe it to the best of my ability.

About a month ago I was driving around normally and as I took off (like normal) from a light I heard a loud pop and then, what sounded to me like a bolt or something, rattled around for a second and then was gone. I didn't see anything come out from under the car and have looked everything over as best i can without lifting the car and can't see anything that is missing. No idea what that was about.

After that my car has been handling very strangely. Sometimes it feels very bouncy when I am driving. Other times it just doesn't feel right....like something is wrong with the drivetrain or something.

Mind you, the car has been through 6 previous owners (i am number 7) I have no idea what has been done internally to the car. I find new stuff out all the time.

Today my car got a full tank of premium gas. Everything was fine when I went to meet a friend for breakfast. Leaving the restaurant, she started shaking a little more than normal (it does have a rough cam so it lobes a bit) and was idling rough. Checked the oil. It is a little dirty, but ok.

Not sure what the heck is going on? I don't have a lot of people that I can take her to. I am still trying to learn about the LS1 engines and stuff.

What do you all think could be the issue? Is there anyone local who would be willing to come by and take the car out with me to see?

Old 03-11-2011, 06:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Motor mount bolts? sway bar? spring shackles?

Old 03-11-2011, 08:49 AM

it does not have the front sway bar. That was missing when i bought it. I believe the motor mounts are in good shape.

Not sure what exactly a spring shackle is.....lol

Old 03-11-2011, 07:17 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Look at the control arms, pull off front wheels and make sure the bolts aren't loose. That happened to my suburban. and a bolt was loose in the control arm. Truck pulled to the right and a loud pop everytime I stopped or reversed.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:35 PM

I don't really have any way to lift the car to get the wheels off. Haven't heard any more popping sounds. Just the once.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:32 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Well, have you checked to see if your wheels are still there? Maybe that was the noise you heard ...JK JK...SOMEBODY in colorado has to have a floor jack. Or the one your car came with...If I remember right, the jack was in the left rear underneath the lil speaker.

Old 03-12-2011, 03:33 AM

that jack really really really sucks. and it takes forever. lol. All the wheels are still there lol. I most likely would have noticed that....

Old 03-12-2011, 05:49 AM
In the Staging Lanes

One of the best investments you can make is a floor jacks, 2 jack-stands and a basic tool set. This way you can change your own oil, do basic tire rotations and save some money. Posting on this forum makes me think you want to do some mechanical things with your car, so that would be a good start.

If you get a jack (or use the crappy one that came with your car) do not get under the car without supporting it with jack-stands so it is stable! Please.

Old 03-12-2011, 06:22 AM

Yeah i should get a good jack and jack stands. I kinda have a little tool set but it is not very good and missing some pieces. Lol. I will only get under it if i can. Or at least enough to see if anything is loose or missing. I have some mechanical knowledge. I can do oil, change breaks, tune ups, calipers, simple stuff. I would like to learn more in depth engine work.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:45 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Cool. Always be safe.
I have been teaching my daughter who is 8 y/o how to do some things as long as I can keep her attention. My son is a lost cause now, he's only 5 y/o. They are both helping me with my project as their time permits. LOL.