General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

my camaros not starting! Please help

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006 | 08:56 PM
|
Default my camaros not starting! Please help

I've got a 71 camaro with a 350 (same year). The motor's a champ, used to start up right away but now I struggle to turn it on. I put a used Edelbrock 600 carb about a month ago,maybe the carbs acting up? Don't know the model but the banjo fitting's on the left side and it's chrome. The only problem I've had is that when I floor it, the engine bogs until I get off the gas a little. This is my first v8 so I don't know much. Can someone help?

Old 10-22-2006 | 09:12 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: my camaros not starting! Please help

not enough info to help you. we need more than just your car won't crank. it could be several things. if it was me me i would loosen the fuel line turn it over and make sure it's getting fuel. if it isn't check the fuel filter and fuel pump. then pull a spark plug put it back in the wire. ground the tip against the body. turn it over and see if it fires. if it doesn't it could be a bad igntion coil or pickup coil. as old as your motor is it may have points instead of an igntion module. if it does have points thats the most likely canidate for no fire. in a motor as old as yours it usually one of the two (Fuel Or Fire) thats keeping it from cranking. Sick

Old 10-23-2006 | 12:25 AM
1st Gear Member

i could be wrong, but would the boging be because of the idle adjustment?
when you crank it does it sound like the battery is weak and it struggles to turn on or is it normal

Old 10-24-2006 | 01:14 AM
In the Staging Lanes

i agree with sick its either fuel or spark as for the bogging it doesn't sound like your idle screws because that is all they effect. it sounds like its your power circut witch most carbs have a power valve that would be at fault this being an edlebrock they don't have power valves. they have a metering rod that slides open occording to the vacuum in the venture witch is at its greatest at WOT and if that metering rod isn't opening all the way you are hitting a lean spot and your carb can't supply the fuel it needs a WOT there for it leans out and bogs down. i hope this helps

Old 10-24-2006 | 04:57 AM
|

Thanks guy for responding so soon, I reaally appreciate the help. The motor's not getting gas. I took Sicks advice and checked for flow and there was none. Then I checked for spark too just to be sure, spark is good. Maybe I should of checked spark first...BOOM! Just joking. I forgot to mention that my motors got an HEI Distrbutor, guess thats a little late. I'll buy a fuel filter first to see if it helps, havn't changed it yet. Mechanical fuel pump should be an easy fix right, any suggestions on a brand? Coolcat when I crank it sounds normal, it only bogged out when I floored it, I had to set the idle by ear, dont have a tach yet. Drives normal, picks up normal, if I floor it graduallly then its ok, but when I floor it normal it bogs until I ease up a little. Where's the metering rod on the carb?

Old 12-31-2006 | 05:29 PM

try going to a larger carbirator thats what i had to do same problem