General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Motor/tranny swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 03:39 PM
Default Motor/tranny swap

Okay, I got a good buddy that's in a pretty tight spot right now. He bought a 3rd gen camaro for super cheap, the body and interior is in mint condition. But it had the 2.8, and the motor blown. He bought a 350 block and is about halfway through rebuilding it. But his other ride(early 90's nissan) took a crap on him so money got tight. He patched the nissan but it runs like crap. I'm trying to figure out how much it would cost to get a 350(from anything that runs), a 700R4 tranny, and prolly a rearend to replace the dinky one they put behind the v6. I'm gonna be helping him do any work he puts in it, so I'm wanting to basically know anything I can find out. Obviously I'm more of a mustang man, so I don't have much knowledge on the camaro's. I'm looking for the following things
1)A motor/tranny/rearend CHEAP
2)Any info on the specific mods I'll have to do to put these in(length for driveshaft, does it need modification, which rearends bolt right up etc.)
3)Any tips/pointers on this swap

Just looking for something to slap in it right now. I can rebuild rearends and trannies, and hes taking care of the motor. Just need something to get through final year of college. Thanks in advance.

P.S. I'm already digging through the tech articles, gonna take a while to look over all of it

Old 12-14-2007, 11:18 PM
Default RE: Motor/tranny swap

Hit the junkyards for motor and tranny, as said in many articles. You said 700R4 so I'm assuming its an 84/85 or newer. Also www.craigslist.com might be an option. Or something I havn't seen mentioned on here. www.chooseyouritem.com. As for the V6 to V8 swap I know there's a thread somewhere on here for it. Either in 3rd gen forum or z28 forum. My guess is the computer would have to be switched too. Also some third. The motor bolt in I don't think would be that big of a problem as long as your sticking to carbed. I don't know about the tranny or rear end though. Sorry.

Old 10-02-2008, 03:05 PM
Default RE: Motor/tranny swap

hey i got that same 89' project 2.8. i finshed my 350 carb motor. and dropin it this winter. keep your tailshaft off the old tranny. that will bolt onto a v-8 tranny, drive shaft will fit- supposdly.... if you get a rear end. get a limited slip posi- i got one off craiglist- Kickass.... dont be in a rush to finish or it will be more trouble than its worth Just review ALL the motor swap blogs on this site. ther the best source..