General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

making power

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 03:20 PM
Default making power

hi i have a 69 350 4 bolt main bored 40 as a short block fresh rebuild i want to make as much streetable power as posible at the cheapest price im going to match the block with a set of camelhump 202 heads and a 144 weind super charger i need to no what cam and pistons and what what general parts i would need or best to match with this setupforcheepwell ur help is appreciated thanks josh

Old 05-21-2007, 10:10 PM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: making power

I hear Wiesco makes bada$$ light wieght pistons. You really need to have the rotating assy balanced. Since you're asking about pistons I know it's not balanced. Truthfully, with what you're wanting to build I would really recomend talking with a qualified perfomance engine builder, who has a dyno inhouse and can back up what he tells you with proof. One person with 30 yrs exp. will help you more and confuse you less than 50 different guys offering 5000 suggestions online. Sorry guys, nothing personal, the Forums are a great place to exchange info and ideas, comming hear for advise has helped me abit. I'm not bashing, so, please don't crucify me. It's just that sometimes too much input can be a bad thing which leads you into the wrong choice and a failed project. I've been through all that BS and now both my motors are at the race engine shop getting done.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:45 PM
3rd Gear Member

I have to agree with the above to a point but I believe talking to several machine shops and doing research on your own will help you make better decisions Ive delt with four machine shops in the past 20 + years I used one for my antique tractor stuff one for the motorcycle stuff and two for the car stuff they each have different experiance and advice and believe it or not they are not perfect.. case in point I have a set of dart iron eagle heads 230 runners I had the shop put them on to check clearances got a call push rod will not clear you need to buy offset rockers and lifters they said they spoke to dart so I checked the head spec again the heads were not designed for the offset stuff so I contacted Dart and started complaining they said to send them back and they woud check them I decided I would take them back myself and went to Mich they mocked them up and said the guide plates were not adjusted correctly end of story either the shop was trying to make more money off of me or they were to stupid to know how to adjust them and i hope it was the first part because I already had about $6000 on the engine with them. The second shop is a drag race engine shop I had a stock crank cleaned and polished I installed it in the block and noticed scores in the bearings from them not chamfering the oil holes in the crank. My point with all this is do your own research know what they are talking about its your money knowledge helps you spend it wisely.

Old 05-22-2007, 06:18 PM

thanks guys i was researching and found thata 288 cam makes about 450 hourses matched with the 144 supercharger from weind and some vortec heads on a stock 350 and im pritty sure the camelhump 202 make more power thana set of vortec heads so with that combo on my motor i should be in the same rang rite oh yea just in case u dont no i just turned 18 and iv ben building cars for a little while and this is the first complete motor build ive done by my self and thanks for all ur help

Old 05-22-2007, 09:00 PM
3rd Gear Member

The Vortecs willoutperform the camel humps in a normal application intake at .500 lift vortecs about 230 cfm and the camel humps about 205 cfm on a good day I was going to suggest that but I am not sure how they respond in a blower application and also they take a vortec specific manifold or you need to weld and machine the normal one to fit.

Old 05-23-2007, 12:09 AM

do u think i should get the vortec heads and use the combo that hotrod magizine proved to make 450 hpwith the288 cam and144weind orsalvage and rebuild the camel humps and see how much i can get but arent the vortec heads center bolt or the traditional side bolts and i have a set of gm cast heads that have ben ported and polished with large valve springs and screw in studs what do u think i should just use them or would the vortec heads perform better

Old 05-23-2007, 11:27 AM
3rd Gear Member

We dont know the flow # from you ported gm heads but heck if they are aready done I would just use them. The valve covers are center bolt on the vortecs but the angle of the intake port face is different so a conventional intake manifold will not bolt up