General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Lots of questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 10:47 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Lots of questions

Okay all I have lots of questions so please read the whole post & answer what you can.. Being new to restoration I'll start with the engine. The one I have is supposed to be a 383 stroker but I haven't confirmed that. It really pumped when I had it in a car for a short time.I hopeto take the oil pan off this coming weekend to look for themachine work, numbers on the crank etc. It is a 1 piece rear main seal engine for sure. What year model I don't know. It was taken out of a 1990 Camaro but I'm not sure ifit was the original engine that was modified. Hopefully it is at least a four bolt main block. Crossmy fingers.

Can anyone tell me what heads could be used on a 350 block that has a 1 piece rear main seal.
When did the 1 piece rear main first come out & how can I tell what year model this engine should be or something close. It will help to know when it comes time for getting parts.

When should I be concerned about steam holes. I've read abouat those but not up to speed about them.

I keep seeing these SFI approved harmonic balancers. The rattler looks to be the latest gig that's hot.Will one for a 350 crank fit a 400 crank. Are they a good balancer?If memory serves me right a 383 is a SBC 350 with a SBC400 crank in it along with longer rods. So do the balancers interchange? When I was running the engine inthe car it had a bad vibration pretty much all the way from 800 to 6000 RPM. I don't know if thedrive trainwas part of the problem as it was pretty beat up or something in the engine.

How do I know if my engineshould beinternally or externally balanced?

Okay for a flex plate. I'll be using a 700R4 tranny that is already built/purchased & delivered. Which flex plate should I use. Meaning how do I know the tooth count.Will there be a problem bolting up the trans to engine with spacing for the torque converter.

What would be a good source book(s) for learning about wiring different coils, distributors, alternators etc.

Okay that's enough I guess for now but count on more questions later.

Thanks for your expertise.
CCar

Old 08-29-2007, 11:45 PM
Default RE: Lots of questions

Question 1: pull your valve covers off the heads they will have a casting number usally above the springs, write down the casting and google that number it will popup to a site that gives you specs or information about your heads and same for the engine. the engine number in on the rear driver's side of the block right where the crown of the trasmission bolts up. You can find year model's the heads and block and what they possably came off of.

2nd: I don't know much about them but to clean them you can have them acid dipped or you can drill them out using a sharp 1/8th dia. bit and making sure the center punch is deep enough to prevent the bit from skating off across the machined surface, start with the holes toward the exhaust side. These are the drilled straight down into the water jacket. The holes on the intake side are a bit more complicated. These are drilled with the bit at a 30 degree angle measured from the intake side, toward the exhaust side into the cooling jacket. With a counter bore or a file, dress each hole to insure that there are no raised edges or burrs that could interfere with the gasket seal.

3rd: Not suggested, First the timimg marks maybe off, second 400 Chev engines use an externally balanced crankshaft, in which the damper has a counterweight attached in the back of the damper to provide correct OEM external balance. The counterweight can be removed if the damper is to be used on internally (neutral) balanced crankshaft like most 350's

4th.
to find out if engine is externally balanced look at the inside(between the engine and flywheel) of the flywheel, there will be a counter weight usally welded to the flywheel. You may have to spin the flywheel to get a good look. It will be noticable. Or you can get the casting number off the crank and have it looked up as well (google it) it will give you a idea of what you are looking at.

5th Just about any light weight flywheel will be fine. I personally had never had a problem with the cheaper hi performance one's from autozone.

6th wiring is out of my league sorry.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:07 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: Lots of questions

Wowthanks for the quick answers, I did the google thing & it came up with asolid page for checking numbers. The block must be between 89- 93 according to the web page. The numbers are 1409383 GM 5.7 LG SGT H024

Not having torn the engine down I'm not sure it even has steam holes. What yeardid they start using steam holes.

The car will be automatic so I won't be using a fly wheel. I'll be using a flex plate & probably one froma local performance shop.

Thanks again for the quick reply. This forum is great for us non knowing shade tree car buffs
CCar