General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Installing Supercharger need help with fuel stuff

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 01:17 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Installing Supercharger need help with fuel stuff

I'm trying to figure out if I need to reflash the ECU to accept the larger injectors I'm installing or if it's MASS Air meters, whatever I need help on the fuel side.

I have high resistance injectors, I need to know what pump size I should use to support 500hp, and at the same time I also need to know about any other upgrades I really should consider as far as fuel.

The rest I've got in the books, a new block and tranny+rear end will be installed after crossing into the 500+ range, I'm only going with a conservative 420hp mark or so, and I'm upgrading the stock setup enough there will be no issue save the fuel delivery.

Help will be appreciated alot!

Old 12-09-2007, 01:19 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: Installing Supercharger need help with fuel stuff

The Supercharger is a D-1SC Procharger kit, intercooled, about 15psi, and runs on a stock 5.7 with Edelbrock Performerintake mani, bbk pullies, throttle body 58mm and full exhaust system will also be installed at the same time.

Also the 5.7 has a T-5 swap on her FYI

Old 12-09-2007, 06:24 PM
2nd Gear member

[&:] raven we need to know what year of donor stuff or vehicle we are talking about lt1, tpi, throttle body?? your most likely gonna have to go with some type of programable ecm or edit program as this set up will have a million variables. there may be a company( procharger themselves or others) that can take all your very accurate info on the parts and set up and burn you a chip but i doubt it would provide an all variables, good drivability scenario. dont count on this being a plug and play situation, most forays into the higher than stock HP computer controlled engines require good amounts of $$$ and tinkering and adjustments. i also think that the level of HP your thinking for the first evolution of your motor is gonna be very hard on a stock motor. a HP per cubic inch is a very doable and usually reliable goal but numbers beyond that seem to start effecting longevity and the wallet at an exponential rate. as i said theres unlimited variables and things like emissions testing in your area or weather or not your gonna run cats that will play into your setup. anything you do (bigger injectors, cam, etc) will have to be compensated for through computer programming. did this set up come with a chip or ecm?? i dont think the stock computer or map sensor will know what to do with boost as opposed to vacuum kurt

Old 12-11-2007, 01:55 AM
In the Staging Lanes

ORIGINAL: t9ojetpilot

[&:] raven we need to know what year of donor stuff or vehicle we are talking about lt1, tpi, throttle body?? your most likely gonna have to go with some type of programable ecm or edit program as this set up will have a million variables. there may be a company( procharger themselves or others) that can take all your very accurate info on the parts and set up and burn you a chip but i doubt it would provide an all variables, good drivability scenario. dont count on this being a plug and play situation, most forays into the higher than stock HP computer controlled engines require good amounts of $$$ and tinkering and adjustments. i also think that the level of HP your thinking for the first evolution of your motor is gonna be very hard on a stock motor. a HP per cubic inch is a very doable and usually reliable goal but numbers beyond that seem to start effecting longevity and the wallet at an exponential rate. as i said theres unlimited variables and things like emissions testing in your area or weather or not your gonna run cats that will play into your setup. anything you do (bigger injectors, cam, etc) will have to be compensated for through computer programming. did this set up come with a chip or ecm?? i dont think the stock computer or map sensor will know what to do with boost as opposed to vacuum kurt
To answer

The Motor is the stock 5.7 TPI with some in house work on her. With the intercooler I'm not worried about boost or much less how to run it. I'm already booking in a Engine, Tranny, Rear End change later on that will work out any fears when the power goes above 500hp and such.

89 IROC-Z Coupe, T-5 Conversion from Dealership, the throttle body will be an 58mm BBK, and she'll have full exhaust with Cats already taken care of. Which I already know needs a tune, but I was wondering where to find this besides the ebay ripoff crap and the expensive tuner shops.

I'm going to invest in a FAST System as well down the road, so it'd just have to hold tight a bit.

I figured it'd not be so hard if the GT 89 that runs against her was easy to do. She'll experience at hottest 98degrees F during summer which she'll be reduced a whole lot to compensate.

Otherwise if the motor in now turns to slag is not concerning so long it lasts a year (50k miles) and I can easily keep it running lower to make up for any lackage of durability.

The oil will be synthetic, the intercooler is as big as they get with an aftermarket body kit to leave the intercooler and radiator seperate air dams, and the Hood is designed to allow heat up over the windsheild and out back across her wing. I know she won't break 50k miles, which is why the Pony will also be pulling a load on her self as well. Upgrades are for light drag racing, and show detail, street use will not exceed 3k rpm save rare occaisions.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:51 AM
Tech Droid

Your fuel pump should be good for up to 400HP, more than that you may have to add a inline booster pump, or preferably change the pump in the tank to a higher capacity one. The stock MAP sensor will have no idea of what to when the manifold absolute pressure goes over one atmosphere (100 KPa), so you need to change it with one used for turbo or supercharged engines, get one than can go to 3 atmosphere (300 KPa)absolute pressure. To tune the engine you will need to know how much fuel the injectors will have to deliver. If you purchased a supercharger kit, it should have a variable pressure regulator that will increase fuel pressure as the boost increases. AT 15 PSI, spark advance is going to be critical and will need be set up properly.