General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Ignition Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 11:50 PM
Default Ignition Problems

I have a '96 3.8 Every once in a while it will not start.I have the stock security system that came with the car. Their is a chip in the key. The problem is sometimes it will not start or turn over. I turn the key and it does not do anything. The check engine light will come on but if I play with it for a while it will start right up with no problems, and the check engine light will go off. This problem happens more in cold weather than warn. I took it to GM but they told me I would have to leave it their and they would go out and start it every once in a while untill it throws the code again. But their is no chance that I will leave my car their so they can start it. It might take it a week to do it again. Any ideas? Other than a new ignition. And I did try a spare key, but it made no diference.

Old 03-22-2008, 06:52 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Default RE: Ignition Problems

Its been a while for me but I think chip on the key tells the ECM its ok to send spark and injection signal. It will crank with the wrong chip but you have a no start condition. This could be Neutral safty switch (assuming its a automatic) failure or a bad ignition switch. Also the starter selenoid could cause this. I think this is why the dealer told you they need to see it happen. All those part will passall thetests if they are working.They could put a lot of parts in it and not get the right one if they guessed.

I quit being a mechanicearly in the 1990 model year. The only cars that had the chip where the vetts so I do have limited exposure to this system.Hopfully someone morewho knows the newer stuff will chime in and give an opinion.

If Iassumed the chip is not an issue I would say 60% for the cars that showed up at the dealer with intermitent nocranking ended up be ignition switchs.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:32 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Just a heads up it is not infact a chip. It is a peice of resistance, carbon to be exact. There are different types with different resistences. It is in fact a resistor. All that happens is the VATS or the Pass-Key system trys to find the resistance on the resistor. I myself have never heard of a resistor simply losing it's resistance. I may be wrong but I think it is impossible without burning it up but there is no eletric current running through it. I am going towards the ignition system. It could be the security systems too but I doubt it.

Old 03-22-2008, 10:00 AM

I was also leaning toward a new ignition. I think their like $150 all said and done.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:40 PM
2nd Gear member

[&:] since you mention intermittent no crank and no start i have to ask do you have a tilt column??

Old 03-28-2008, 05:00 PM
Tech Droid

The VATS will prevent the starter from cranking the engine, and the injectors from firing. The resistor in the key can go bad, but the usual problem is worn or dirty contacts on the resistor pellet or in the resistor contacts within the lock mechanism. Try spraying the contacts in the lock mechanism and theresistor pellet with contact cleaner. (Available from Radio Shack)

Old 03-28-2008, 10:19 PM

yes I do have tilt steering. Just courious, but what would that have to do with anything?

Old 03-30-2008, 12:18 PM
2nd Gear member

[&:] ive had to adjust more than a few ignition switches cause people would try to start and or leave thier column in the full up position and the throw on the rod from ignition to switch wouldnt quite make the switch activate. pull the column down and viola everything works fine. so just want to make sure were chasing something else in your case and not something as simple and stupid as the column problem i described kurt

Old 03-30-2008, 01:30 PM

Actually I tried to start her with the column up and down to see if it would make a difference. I think Ive tried just about everything. Funny you would mention that cuz I thought I was crazy for trying it.

Old 03-30-2008, 01:54 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

ORIGINAL: z28pete
The VATS will prevent the starter from cranking the engine,
I beg to differ Pete. I once went to a hardware store to have a spare key cut.I wasn't watchingthe kid, but he didn't know there was a difference between thekey blanks that he had. I went out to try the new key, and the engine cranked, but wouldn't start. I went back in and asked if he checked my old key to use the right resistance key. The store had the box to insert my key to tell him which one to use, but he knew nothing about it. With my help, he got it right the second time...and learned.
The point being, even though the engine cranks, it still could be the VATS system acting up.

Quick Reply: Ignition Problems