General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

I have some question about camaro's

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 11:18 PM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: I have some question about camaro's

my z has 100k and my RS has 116k

Old 03-30-2008, 12:35 PM
2nd Gear member

[8D] the maintenance and repair bills seem to start coming faster and bigger usually after the car has 100k + on it. everybody has a different story and opinion but id say most GM motors seem to fizzle out in the 150k-200k not that they die but get to a point that a rebuild is necessary to control the leaking oozing or have oil and emissions control problem that only a rebuild will solve. the chassis parts and the rest of the vehicle will usually start showing its age with a need to replace the common wear items. the interior will usually start showing the wear also and these parts are getting harder to find and usually are not cheap. in most cases its cheaper in the long run and money better invested in your toy to pay a few dollars more for the car with lower miles ( this can indicate weekend use only or a well kept toy) than to buy the low dollar piece o junk that needs 5k worth of parts to look and work good again kurt

Old 04-01-2008, 08:23 PM

Ok i found one im gonna go look at .... its a '97 Green V6 camaro with 106k on it... how does that sound?

Old 04-01-2008, 10:23 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Not to bad. How much are they asking for it and want kind on condition is it in?

Old 04-03-2008, 08:50 PM

from the pictures the car looks good exterior wise. the guy is askin $3800

Old 04-04-2008, 10:56 PM

How many of you would say that the 93-95 year model with a 3.4l isnt somthing i should look for.. i see a lot of them but one person said that they arent good at all is this true?

Old 04-05-2008, 12:26 AM
In the Staging Lanes

ORIGINAL: t9ojetpilot

[8D] the maintenance and repair bills seem to start coming faster and bigger usually after the car has 100k + on it. everybody has a different story and opinion but id say most GM motors seem to fizzle out in the 150k-200k not that they die but get to a point that a rebuild is necessary to control the leaking oozing or have oil and emissions control problem that only a rebuild will solve. the chassis parts and the rest of the vehicle will usually start showing its age with a need to replace the common wear items. the interior will usually start showing the wear also and these parts are getting harder to find and usually are not cheap. in most cases its cheaper in the long run and money better invested in your toy to pay a few dollars more for the car with lower miles ( this can indicate weekend use only or a well kept toy) than to buy the low dollar piece o junk that needs 5k worth of parts to look and work good again kurt
Sorry to but in mid thread- but the camaro I plan to purchase has 158k on it, at what point when I take it to a dealer to get looked at should I consider getting a rebuild- or even bother purchasing it- like what type of signs/issues would make a rebuild inevitable? also how much is a rebuild if I dont have the nessicary knowlage to do it myself?

Old 04-05-2008, 10:06 AM
4th Gear Member

the 3.4 engien is not the best gm. it is knows to leak a lot. a 3.4 camaro usually goes for anywhere from 1500- 2500. not reall worth that much. and they dont take mods that well. even with all the bolt ons, it will only get to about 200 hp. which is the 3.8 camaro.

Old 04-05-2008, 05:14 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I've never had a 3.4 but I was told to stay away from them, and so I did. Im on my 2nd camaro right now and I love it. I got a 94 Z28 and it runs like a champ. I havent added anything on it yet but Im looking into that. As for the 97 V6, that was my first car. I had a 3800series and I gotta say it is a pretty reliable car. I only added flowmasters on it and I can't say it sounded like a V8 but it sounded descent. The car itself, I had for almost 3 years and it never really gave me any major problems, just minors. It was very reliable, I drove it almost 1700 Miles from south TX to Northern CA, without any problems. I was very satisfied with the car and was sad when I sold it but I wanted Z28 so thats what I have now. As for $3800, I would probably try to go just a little bit lower since it is a V6. Like someone else said, the good thing about V6, the parts will be a lot cheaper. Overall, I wouldn't be so scared looking into that car u saw, test drive and see how it feels, only u will know if thats the car u want or not once u turn that key.. good luck

-Sniper
Z28 Camaro

Old 04-05-2008, 05:52 PM
In the Staging Lanes

yeah $3800 is a nice chunk for that year, even with mods. What has he done to it?

Quick Reply: I have some question about camaro's