General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

I have quite a few problems... restoration

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 06:17 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Cool I have quite a few problems... restoration

Ok so I have a 98 camaro 3.8 which I've owned for a little less than a year now. It was
passed down to me from my father when the crankshaft in the engine went bad. He told me if I could fix it I could keep it. Needless to say I removed the engine and sent it off to get repaired and rebuilt. Now I have been driving the car for about 8 months and am starting to encounter a few problems, both with engine and drivetrain. I want to restore my cam back to original and I have a pretty long list so I hope you guys dont mind ill try to keep it as simple but as detailed as possible!

1st: I have noticed that when I am driving and press down on the brakes heavily it pulls slightly to the right and if i press the brakes hard enough to lock the wheels, the rear end fishtails to the left. Not that I lock my brakes often but im not sure if thats supposed to happen. Also I've noticed that the right front wheel often collects more brake dust than the left wheel. any suggestions?

2nd: As I mentioned before I had my engine rebuilt about 8 months ago and just recently I started hearing a light ticking sound in the engine. I know that cams of my year have a problem with lifters but im hoping thats not it since its fairly new and shouldnt have that problem. I added some oil to the motor cuz it was a little low on oil but the noise stil persists. It is a ticking sound that can be heard form idle up to 2rpm. No engine lights are on and oil pressure is fine.

3rd: Ever since I started driving the car I have noticed that when I switch gears I hear a knock in the back of the car. Im pretty sure its the differential and it seems like there is some play in it. I want to know if that can be caused by low fluid or does it need to be replaced?

4th: Last but not least. I seem to have a problem in the rear axle because I have been hearing a squeaking sound coming from the back everytime I drive with the widows down and it seems to be getting worse. It seems to squeak every rotation. I have not replaced the breaks but I doubt that is it. I have read some threads and some people have mentioned bearings but I want to know what else it could be?

hope u guys can help! thanks!