General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

HELP!!!! Car wont start!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 02:28 PM
Default HELP!!!! Car wont start!!!!

I got an 01 Camaro that won't crank at all. I got a new starter (3rd one), new battery, new positive battery cable with clean connections everywhere, 12 volts at the battery, and also at the starter while attempting to crank. When I tried using a screwdriver at the battery on both the IGN and BATT posts, all I get is a spark and, from what my wife says, "activity in the cabin of the car" like the clock turns on and the gauges twitch. When I try and use the key, everything is normal until I turn the key all the way forward. When I do this, all the gauges drop like there is no battery juice, but the battery is still registering 12V.

The starter is a Power Master (PN 9509), clockable starter, and as I have said before, this is the third one, because based off of what I have been told by others, if I get 12V to the starter and it don't crank, then its a bad starter. I am starting to think that that isn't the case.

Any ideas? This is the third weekend in a row I have been tinkering with this issue. It is starting to get old!

Old 02-07-2009, 05:17 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

Sounds like ignition system is out or a bad ground somewhere. Check engine light on?

Old 02-07-2009, 05:59 PM
2nd Gear member

Did it start when your previous starter was in? And the problem occur afte you put this one in?

Or did you just put 3 in, in a row, and none work at all?

Old 02-07-2009, 06:16 PM

Have you had problems with electronics staying on? Consider the Ignition switch or even the ignition lock cylinder. I had changed both in my last Camaro. Always check the cheapest parts first, this way if your wrong no harm done. If your right your happy.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by PaulsZ28
Have you had problems with electronics staying on? Consider the Ignition switch or even the ignition lock cylinder. I had changed both in my last Camaro. Always check the cheapest parts first, this way if your wrong no harm done. If your right your happy.
At one point, when the car was actually running, sometimes the electronics would turn off while I was driving. This would only last for a few seconds to a few minutes, then they would return.

Originally Posted by c4maro
Did it start when your previous starter was in? And the problem occur afte you put this one in?

Or did you just put 3 in, in a row, and none work at all?
The first one worked, but only twice. The car drove about 6-10 miles, sat overnight, drove another 6-10 miles, then wouldn't start the next day. No starters after that worked.

Originally Posted by cplthomas
Sounds like ignition system is out or a bad ground somewhere. Check engine light on?
The SES/Check engine light is not on, nor was on before this problem.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:18 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Smile

Had two similar problems with my 84. (Both of these only apply if the car doesn't crank at all when you turn the key)

First time was related to the starter, but not the starter itself.
There is some wire running to it that is called "fusible link". Bottom line is that it acts like a fuse and once it goes, the solenoid on the starter won't activate. I had to replace a section of wire running to the positive terminal of the solenoid on the starter and it has been great ever since.

Other issue - I would turn the key (battery fully charged) and the lights and all would go off like the car's ignition had shorted out.

Turned out to be the nuetral safety switch. Not sure whether you have an Automatic or Stick. On a stick, the switch is located at the top of the clutch pedal. You can confirm it by pulling the plug and inserting a jumper wire across/into the two terminals. Then try to crank the car. MAKE DARN SURE YOU ARE IN NEUTRAL / OUT OF GEAR when you try it.

Best of luck. I hope you get it figured out soon.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:47 AM

Thanks for replying.

I replaced the entire positive battery cable (from the battery to the starter) so I am thinking that that wire should be ok. I checked the ignition wire on the starter, and it is getting 12 volts at both ends (I traced it all the way to where it plugs into a wiring harness by the CPU), so if its something else with the wiring, I have no idea where to look.

The neutral safety switch seems like a good place to start. I do have a 6-speed, and before this all happened, sometimes I had to fiddle with the clutch to get the thing to turn over.

Now, when you say get a jumper wire, what exactly are you talking about? I have heard of this before, but have no idea of what it means.

Thanks again for your help.

Old 02-08-2009, 02:02 PM
In the Staging Lanes

A jumper is just a piece of wire that's bare on both ends.

You are using it to "jump" the switch out.

Pull the plug (my 5 speed its located at the top of the clutch pedal and just has two sockets in the plug.

Stick one end of the wire in each side of the plug.

Then see if it'll crank.

Hope that helps.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:12 PM
2nd Gear member

Hey bowtie Nice third gen you got there. Welcome.

Hey, have you dont anything like heads or a cam on your 305? Cuz i need some tips for mine lol.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:25 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks, yours is sharp too.
Haven't started on the engine yet.
Wanted to make sure it would handle and stop before I worked on the "go fast" stuff.
Been trying to decide whether to go to a 350, or stick with the 305 and do the top end similar to the Car Craft article.
Either way, gonna put some headers, a y-pipe and a high flow cat. on it this spring...

If you're doing the intake, are you also doing the heads? The GM Vortec heads will massively improve HP and performance, but then you need a Vortec intake, so both gotta happen at the same time.
Good luck.

Quick Reply: HELP!!!! Car wont start!!!!