General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 11:23 AM
1st Gear Member
Default help!!!!

how do you change the spark plugs on a 96 z28.. how do you get to them.... someone please help with this... asap... thankyou...

Old 06-21-2007, 11:58 AM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: help!!!!

ok, to do this you must be able to handle some pain,

the first 3 on the driver side you should be able to get to by jamming your arm down in there, getting the boot off, and putting the socket on there.

then attach the ratchet with just your hand to feel, these should be no prob.

the last one on the drivers side, jack up the car, andyoull getto it from underneath no prob.

the passenger side requires a lot of jamming you arm into small places,and it helps if you take off the alternator, to get to the first couple on passenger side.

the last two on passenger side will be your toughest, if you are a bigger guy like me, and have big armsthen you may get a cut or 2 or several, but it must get done so cram your arm in there and attach the socket, and then attach the ratchet for the 3rd plug, should be no prob.

the last one isthe worst, see that little space between the shock tower and the engine..... yeah, your arm is gonna have to be jammed in there, so get ready for the pain, but if you have a friend with small hands and arms it may be a little bit easier.

good luck!

Old 06-21-2007, 12:03 PM
1st Gear Member

thanks.... lol....printing lmao yeah ive got a friend thats 5'1 lol. weighs 103 lbs... and hes actually 19 lmao hes a ricer tho

Old 06-21-2007, 06:24 PM
Overdrive Member

So you are going to fit your friend in the engine compartment to change the plugs???
Need to find your self some specialty tools . I have sparkplug sockets with two swivel joints in them. Spark plug sockets that have a hex on the end to use with a wrench. Offset box wrenches, and a small short socket that is open so it fits over the plug but the plug comes out the other end. What it does is extends the hex a little to get a wrench on it.
All that stuff though and sometimes some plugs are still a pain

Old 06-21-2007, 07:26 PM
1st Gear Member

well i got it done with just a wrench and a spark plug socket... but now its not as bad but it does the shake the whole car thing for a min and then it quits for a min and then back to it.. but has all my power through 1st and still sounds different when in it hard... i guess i need wires too... but that will wait... im running it at the track tomarrow night ill let you guys know... thanks for the help..

ps... bunch of scratches and nicks and cuts and burns... -_- painfull job took 3 hours

Old 06-22-2007, 01:55 AM
Overdrive Member

Burns...you aren't supposed to drive it when changing plugs...that just seems like you're asking to get hurt. On the other hand, invest in a spark plug ratchet, they're amazing!

Old 06-22-2007, 09:45 AM
1st Gear Member

yeah i just moved it for a spit second so that i could get the jack under it on flat ground.... and all the driver side plugs were in all the wires were hooked of course... but it should be alright...