General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

headlight removal on a '99

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 07:48 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default headlight removal on a '99

I have both the Haynes manual and the GM tech instructions. Both say to remove the single bolt holding the headlight assembly to the mounting bracket. Haynes says to slide the headlight forward to disengage the mounting tabs. GM says to pull it "inboard" but the mounting bracket won't let this happen. Either way, I can't get either one out. I have new lamps on order, plus there is a problem with the turn/parking lights (turn signal and DRL do not work). Does anyone know the secret?

Old 06-27-2007, 09:01 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: headlight removal on a '99

Is that the composite light? Not the two small square ones. There may be one or two metal rods that you snap out of their holders and pull out to relaease the light, some rods unscrew. Or some thing like that. I have seen so many I can't picture what the Camaros looks like exactly.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:32 PM
In the Staging Lanes

It is a single lamp unit (1998-2002) that has both the hi and lo beams, with a plastic lens or cover. There are no rods like you mention that I can see, nor are these mentioned in either of the directions I have. My guess is that the mounting lugs that are mentioned are what is holding it in place, but none of my pushing, pulling or lifting has helped. It is a tight fit against the body and the mounting brackets, and I don't want to break anything.

Old 06-27-2007, 11:17 PM
Overdrive Member

Its been so long since I had to take apart and put together a Camaro (I used to do body work) that I cant exactly remember. It was getting comon though to just have simple levers to turn or two long shafted bolts to remove so you can replace the bulbs with more ease

Old 06-28-2007, 11:18 AM
In the Staging Lanes

According to the instructions once those mounting lugs comne free it should just lift out. But get this. I saw an ad on the Forum for Just Answer. Asked my question, and paid $9. The answer started with telling me how to raise the headlight, then turn it off while it was still in the raised position!!!! The guy does not seem to know what a Camaro looks like. (I have owned a lot of Corvettes and a Firebird and Trans am that had retractible headlights, but I don't recall a Camaro ever having those.)

Old 06-28-2007, 12:42 PM
Overdrive Member

Holly crap! Some one charged you $9 bucks for a stupid answer like that? Is'nt ask jeeves free? Its just a search engine but you could find more intelegent answers than what you paid for.
Can you get your money back for the stupid answer? Damn those google ads will let any fool in here.

Old 06-28-2007, 12:51 PM
In the Staging Lanes

It gets worse. When I told "Just Answer" that the answer was way off base, I get a message from some tech with 24 years experience saying that he agreed with what the other one said. Don't want to get nasty, but those guys don't know a '99 Camaro headlight from a certain part of their anatomy.

Old 06-28-2007, 01:30 PM
4th Gear Member

dont they slide from left to right???

Old 06-28-2007, 02:05 PM
In the Staging Lanes

There does not seem to be even room to do that, but I will give everything another try. The things evidentally have two tabs that are at the bottom to keep them in position, plus the bolt that fastens the lamp to the mounting bracket.
UPDATE on JUST ANSWER. They have agreed to refund my $9. But it will take awhile.....

Old 06-28-2007, 02:39 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Hey, bluovlh8er, you were right!!!! I was working on the left headlight, and when I pushed it to the center of the car it came loose! Maybe that is what the GM instructions meant by "inboard"? Anyway, I can now try and find out what the problem is with my turn signals. Thanks a bunch!

Quick Reply: headlight removal on a '99