General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Guages

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 02:40 AM
Default Guages

I just purchased a 91 Camaro RS convertible my oil pressure and tach arent working properly or at all. when i turn her over I get what i believe to be normal readings. Oil pressure guage seems to be reading normal at startup then loses oil pressure. First hypothesis oil leak. I check oil daily well within limits no visible fluids leaking from engine or driveway spotting, but im not sure if this rules out an oil pressure leak. I think this is a faulty guage no biggie. Oil leak, ouch. Also the tach works within limits at startup steadies then noses over to the right with no changes in engine speed. All input will be appreciated.

Drew

Old 02-22-2006, 08:38 AM
Default RE: Guages

You are not alone. My ole lady's 91' and my friend's convertable 90-something does much the same. The tach works kinda but way higher than it should: but our oil pressure guages peg to the right. I removed the dash cluster and cleaned all the connections on both the lamanite and bulkhead connectors with emory cloth to no avail. I traced the lands to determine the supply source pins and used a DVM to check for voltage at the connectors. It was present for both instruments at appprox. 11.9vdc. The sense lead for the oil pressure guage read short to ground; but then I didn't try running the engine with the guage cluster removed. I don't yet know where the stupid oil pressure sensor is on the 305s. I run a first gen. 350 in my 87. If I figure out what the (you know what) it is I'll post it.

Old 02-23-2006, 02:18 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Ive had this same problem in my '92. Cleaned connectors, no fix. What the problem was, is that the connections didnt have enough pressure against them to get a good connection. What I did was roll up elec tape (long ways) and then mashed it flat. Stuck them on the underside of the connecters (the ones in back of the cluster) and bam!

If you need a better explination, just post to let me know you still read this. And I will take mine apart and show you PICS. With detailed notes.

Old 02-23-2006, 06:22 PM

That was my first thought i just got the car and first conclusion was a faulty connection from engine to guage. While cleaning it I tried removing the face to the guages but couldnt remove the lighting control **** to give me access to the guages. Any tips here?

Old 02-24-2006, 04:10 AM
In the Staging Lanes

??? Im not sure our bezels are the same???

If you can give me a couple of days, I will take mine out and take PICS of everthing. And explain a little better, It will make more sence with pics. Right now Im outta town with a flat and would rather not take the car apart here.

If your bezel is like the older ones- like my 89. There is something you have to depress behind the plastic, it will then let go of the metal rod/switch. And it will snap in when you push it back in. Look for it carefully, get a light and look behind the switch, youll find it. (this option may not be your case, since your car should be just like my 92)

I will post back in a couple of days to make sure you are going to read my post, just to make sure im not wasting time with the pics.