General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Geo questions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 07:29 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Geo questions...

Ok im in the market for a cheap 4 banger w/ good gas mpg cuz now i travel about 80 miles a day for work, i found a 94 geo prism on craigslist, they said it needs a new power steering pump and an engine mount. how much are we looking for to get these two probs fixed? It only has 88k for 1200, ill try to talk them to 1k or mayb 900

Old 07-08-2007, 08:24 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club
Default RE: Geo questions...

i can tell you this, they never die. i have a 95 tracker. its been raced, redlined every gear, off roaded, jumped in excess of 5' of height and 30' distance. only things replaced were spark plug wires (i cracked one), tires, a fog light, brake rotors and drums milled (issue was vibration on brakes, turned out wheels were too tight), a clutch, and a cv joint broke backing out of the driveay. they dont die.

Old 07-08-2007, 08:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Any clue how hard it is with the engine mount??

Old 07-08-2007, 08:40 PM
Overdrive Member

Those are two different Geos'. The Prism is made by Toyota in The California plant that used to build Camaros and the Tracker is by Suzuki.
Check online for parts prices from your local store. The power steering pump pully should bolt on so does not need special tools. The mount, depending on which one, may be the worst part to change but always do-able

Old 07-08-2007, 08:55 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MadMikeZ28

Those are two different Geos'. The Prism is made by Toyota in The California plant that used to build Camaros and the Tracker is by Suzuki.
Check online for parts prices from your local store. The power steering pump pully should bolt on so does not need special tools. The mount, depending on which one, may be the worst part to change but always do-able
gotcha but arent they pretty much the same? Both jap motors diff looks obviously, im just wondering what labor will be for the mount?? like how long would it takre a shop to do

Old 07-08-2007, 11:21 PM
4th Gear Member

them geo's are like little tanks. [:@]

Old 07-08-2007, 11:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Does it need a new actual mount or just the insert? If its the insert its not that hard depending on which mount it is, you will probably have to get the actual mount taken out, then take it to a shop w/ a press and get them to press in the new insert.

Old 07-09-2007, 12:42 AM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: Celticsfan

gotcha but arent they pretty much the same? Both jap motors diff looks obviously, im just wondering what labor will be for the mount?? like how long would it takre a shop to do
They are as much the same asChevrolet and Saab.
But as to the Traker being a tank. I have a freind who can back that up. He had a mid size dodge pick up with the V8 magnum and he was driving home late one night when an idiot, who's excuse was he thought he could make the RED light (I don't get the logic behind that), Hit him in the front end. Bent that dodge good and the guy with the Tracker was able to drive away. The whole front of the dodge had to have been over a good foot.

Old 07-09-2007, 05:20 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: VQMaxFan

Does it need a new actual mount or just the insert? If its the insert its not that hard depending on which mount it is, you will probably have to get the actual mount taken out, then take it to a shop w/ a press and get them to press in the new insert.
i think its teh actual mount, so if it is how many hours at a shop am i looking at?

Old 07-09-2007, 05:36 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Celticsfan

ORIGINAL: VQMaxFan

i think its teh actual mount, so if it is how many hours at a shop am i looking at?
1.2 hours on a pump replacement, and the motor mount, there are three engine listed but all three call for .8 to .9 hours. to clarify, that is eight tenths of a hour or nine tenths of a hour, about 50 or so minutes.

All of these are MOTOR labor times. Which is a guide only. Not a bible. So if they tell you more ask why and they may have good reason, rust, broken bolts, twisted lines, stuff like that. If it where me quoting you I'd ask you to let me give it a visual inspection first before quoting and with that I'd have a good feeling how long it would take compared to the labor guide times.

Quick Reply: Geo questions...