General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

General questions...

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 10:06 PM
Default General questions...

Alright, first off, I should let you know. I'm not a Camaro owner. I own a Saturn, and I'm not here to start a board war.

Now that we've got the laughs out of the way, we at TSN have run into a problem with modifying our cars, the EGR valve. After some scouting around, I found an EGR simulator at zzperformance. Due to the helpful nature of this shop owner, we've still been unable to figure out if this system will work for our cars.

Our FSM's state this:
"...the PCM also monitors the flow of exhaust gas through the EGR valve by using the MAP sensor. During deceleration the EGR is normally closed. However, the PCM will run a flow test by opening the EGR valve and monitoring the change in the MAP signal voltage. DTC P0401 [EGR flow insufficient] sets when the change in MAP signal voltage is below a certain threshold when the EGR valve is being commanded On during the deceleration."

So the question to be asked is...do all of your engines (we already know the 3800) use MAP's, and if so, does it do the same thing as ours? The product says all GM cars, but the fact is, Saturn's are just plain different with everything. This is for an OBDII car, I believe. Though, I'm sure if we looked hard enough OBDI may have the same problems.

The original post is here: http://www.turbosaturns.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8860 in case you'd like to see what idea's we've come up with.