General Interior questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 10:04 AM
Default General Interior questions

hello all,
I've been reading some posts about the interior of this car which concerns me.
I have not driven one yet but plan on soon.
1) Years ago when the 2010 model came out , I sat in one at the car show in Phila, Pa and thought about the blind spots as I felt the window placement to seat was horrible. The 67-69 didn't have this issue or at least not even close to these new models.
2) Cup holder really? Come on this is one thing that over the years have become deal breakers for certain vehicles and a purchase on others. You need good placement for cup holder for both driver and passengers. More the merrier. If the Cup Holder gets in the way of Shifting , thats some very poor engineering.
3) Overall quality of materials , I'm kinda more a German car guy and I'm use to high quality interiors, does the Camaro have a high quality interior? Example of a high quality interior to me is solid dash, we'll placed gauges, great feel of surrounding when driving, tight solid rattle free even when on bumpy roads. Feel of shifter to Steering, comfortable driving experience. Strong hinges on center console, glove box with tight solid feel, etc

The attraction for me is the muscle car thing. Driving German cars is a pleasure of precision and grace but no muscle car feel. I'm debating on a Audi S5 or a Camaro SS V8 of some kind model. The Audi has a beautiful interior and quality for days , I actually like it more then my BMW but I'm kinda more interested in getting back into an American built muscle car. I use to have a Firebird and a Grand National back in the day.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:27 AM

No comments? Strange but ok.
I now can answer some of these myself.

I went to Reedman/ Toll Yesterday to check out the Camaros and they had a leftover 2013 Camaro Convertible with Leather interior.
The Seats where really nice and supportive. I felt very comfortable sitting in them. I also felt the built quality and stitching was top notch especially for an American vehicle.
The layout of the Dashboard is very well done. I liked the placement of everything and even thought to overheat display was very cool. Nice to see this feature comeback as GM has used it in the past. This time around you get way more info like Radio stations etc.
The Quality of the Steering wheel impressed me except the paddle shifters felt a bit cheap. Nothing to worry about IMO as they still felt solid enough. I think this is a very cool option especially with a mid level V6 model.
The door panel lighting took it up a notch. It felt like a custom interior with the accent lighting around the door trim. That was way cool and really took me off guard. How cool is that and do all models come with that? I'm really digging that.
The Shifter was basic and not very impressive but not a disappointment either. If I decided to go with a AUTO trans which is how I'm leaning these days , I could be very happy with it.
Center console is well placed and has good arm support for right leaning driving which I tend to do most of the time. I switch on and off with what arm I drive with but prefer using my left to steer (I'm use to a manual Transmission).
The overall feel of the interior is quality. Something I didn't expect from GM especially over the last few decades. I always felt GM interiors where less then quality. I guess you gotta keep the cost down somewhere. Not the case in this 2013 model.
I was a bit surprised however that you still need a key to start it. I wonder if that is changed int he 2014 models? I didn't look at that in the 2014 SS they had there as I didn't even sit in it. Both of our current vehicles has push button starting and I really like it. Not a big deal as turning a key is something that might bring back that Muscle car feel. Push butting might take something away but that might be very trivial.

Overall I feel the new Camaro is a pretty quality car. Under the Hood is so clean and well laid out. Hey I didn't see the battery, where is that kept? The Trunk is a bit small but who really cares as this would be a toy for me not a daily driver.

I didn't take one for a test drive yet , it was cold out and starting to snow when I was there so I decided not to go on a test drive. I want to wait until this spring when the weather is more to the conditions I would be driving it anyway.

Old 01-01-2014, 05:41 PM
4th Gear Member

I agree on the German interior quality - far better than any US auto.
My workplace has a car show/cookout in the summer and my '04 BMW M3 'Vert always gets the nod. Alpine White with Cinnamon leather. Always the best interior at the show. However, in good faith, I must say I was beat last summer by a Nissan 370Z 'Vert, all black.

The console arm rest is always up, gets in the way of shifting the 6-spd.
I do like the ambience lighting, a feature not found in US.
I will take a GM flip mirror in exchange for the auto-dimming (it does?) inside rear view mirror any day.

I have seen the new Audi's, they are getting better. Fit & finish is superb.

Old 01-03-2014, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Everett#2390
I agree on the German interior quality - far better than any US auto.
My workplace has a car show/cookout in the summer and my '04 BMW M3 'Vert always gets the nod. Alpine White with Cinnamon leather. Always the best interior at the show. However, in good faith, I must say I was beat last summer by a Nissan 370Z 'Vert, all black.

The console arm rest is always up, gets in the way of shifting the 6-spd.
I do like the ambience lighting, a feature not found in US.
I will take a GM flip mirror in exchange for the auto-dimming (it does?) inside rear view mirror any day.

I have seen the new Audi's, they are getting better. Fit & finish is superb.
the M3 sounds beautiful. I love the 04 year. Last of that body style. I had a 2000 and loved it. I also like that interior over the 05-06. I went to get one when they first came out and walked away due to the fact I didn't like it as much as mine. Not to mention the wife wanted me to get a Automatic as she can't drive a Manual at all. I tried to teach her but after 4 or 5 grinds of the clutch I had to get her out of the drivers seat.
Love to see some pic's man as White is my favorite color on that car.
To me a Automatic in the BMW 3 series just didn't feel right. I hated the Step Tronic style Auto as it didn't shift as I wanted it to.

Funny today I don't even want another Manual as a Automatic is more attractive. The Paddle shifters in the Camaro seem pretty cool but I guess after a test drive I'll make the final decision.

Old 01-03-2014, 06:49 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dmantis
Love to see some pic's man as White is my favorite color on that car.
Thank you!
Look at the flickr link in my signature.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:02 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Dmantis
1) Years ago when the 2010 model came out , I sat in one at the car show in Phila, Pa and thought about the blind spots as I felt the window placement to seat was horrible.

I have a 2010 1SS M6 and love it, but it's my toy, not a daily driver until summer comes. I like the way it pulls real hard in 1st and 2nd, the way it stops on a dime and the excellent cornering.

Yes the whole car can be a blind spot unless you are looking straight forward through the windshield. The seats and roof are low, making it almost look like the top has been chopped. The windshield pillars are wide and create a blind spot. Stoplights require that you stop further back so you don't have to lean forward to see when they turn green. The top of the door when the window is down is a few inches higher than what would be a comfortable one for me to drive with my arm out the window. Makes me feel like I am putting my arm up to scratch my arm pit.

As long as you are going forward and have a wide road, the thrill of the acceleration over rides all of the above.

2) Cup holder really? If the Cup Holder gets in the way of Shifting , thats some very poor engineering.

I don't normally have a coffee or pop when driving unless on a long trip. Yes, the drink holders are a poor design and get in the way when shifting, but who wants a drink when you run it through the gears?

3) Overall quality of materials, does the Camaro have a high quality interior?

For me, yes, only it comes with a few "buts", but only design flaws as I am satisfied with the quality. Car is nice and tight, gauges are good in the dash but I don't think the gauges on the console of the 2SS would be easy to read. I can't see my headlight switch which is blocked by the steering wheel, but they are nice and bright when on. The interior lights are not very bright and not very helpful when getting in the car, so I hope to add some LED strip lighting to the underside of the dash and door openings. No glove box light, but then it's not big enough to hold much more than the manuals. I'm not a fan of the way the seats are done although the quality looks good.

4) The attraction for me is the muscle car thing.
That's why I bought mine. Took a road course extended driving course and I couldn't believe how well it performed. Kept me on the track even when I felt I would lose it. Just cranked the wheel harder until it felt like the rubber was going to roll right off the wheel. Checked the side wall and it was hardly scuffed.

Had it to the drag strip a few times with best time of 13.35 at 110.79 MPH. Dyno gave me 369 RWHP stock set-up. Did a few "brake stand" burnouts but didn't find they helped the 60' times.

My brother-in-law has a 2008 Shelby GT500. He was in the mid to high 12's with 517 RWHP so he made some power additives and had it tuned to get 547 RWHP. Best he has had only once was 11.88 seconds with drag radials.

Now he has a faster car than me but it was $20,000.00 more than a Camaro, plus the extra few thousand he spent on it, and it's only a dry weather car. He is afraid to drive it in the rain or on the road course that I did. When the super charger kicks in, you really have to hang on because you don't know which way the back end will go.

Now I am not complaining about my Camaro, which by the way gives me over 30 MPH Canadian (24 US MPG) on a trip. I'm just saying it is such an impressive road car that I love it anyway.

P.S. The battery is in the trunk along with the compressor and "fix-a-flat", no spare tire!! No live voltage under the hood unless you have the key on or maybe get into the fuse panel, so I ran a pigtail off the battery to plug in my trickle charger during the winter months.

Warning: The trunk light is on when you pop it even though it hardly looks like it's open. Killed my battery the first time I stored it over the winter, so I have the bulb out until I can find a mercury type switch to add to it in the trunk.

Last edited by uncle_bob62000; 01-04-2014 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Screwed up the quote tags
Old 01-05-2014, 08:05 AM

Great info and thanks for posting.