General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

gas in oil? ? ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 09:01 PM
1st Gear Member
Default gas in oil? ? ?

what can cause gas to get into oil? i have a rebuilt 305 that i put in my boat and the oil smells as if there is gas in it.

Old 07-14-2007, 10:32 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: gas in oil? ? ?

What type of fuel pump are you using? Sometimes the diaphragm on mechanical pumps can leak and dump fuel in the crankcase. Also an overly rich mixture or a misfireand the associated unburnt fuel willgo pastthe rings and wind up in the crankcase. Not good for the cylinder walls.

Old 07-14-2007, 11:12 PM
Overdrive Member

What Pete said plus if it has a carb does the float bowel go dry after sitting. I have seen them allow to fuel to pour right out of them before and the fuel just goes right into the cylinders and past the rings into the oil.

Old 07-14-2007, 11:25 PM
1st Gear Member

the fuel pump is the same one that had been on the original boat motor which as far as i know had no problems. the motor has misfired quit a bit and has been flooded quit a bit due to me messing around with it to try to get it to run better, i need to get a timing light. (i have never tuned a carb before or timed an engine so i have been basically been setting it to what i think sounds right, my dad doesnt want to spend the money to take it to a shop so im stuck trying to figure this stuff out before the summers over).

i did have it sounding pretty well at my house but when i took it to the lake it took a while to get it to start again, then when i did get it started it would die when i put it between reverse and forward. then when i started to give it gas it would pop and spit some gas out the carb and then die. i had to turn the idle way up just to get it to run so i could get back to the dock.

i think i figured out what i need to do (take the distributor off and find top dead center and then set the distributor right, i found a great website that has instructions to do it) http://www.classiccarauto.com/impala...ng_order.shtml

its pretty difficult to get things done right when your learning as you go.

Old 07-14-2007, 11:32 PM
1st Gear Member

the carb is a 4bbl750cfm edelbrock performer marine carb