General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Fuel Pump Push Rod Broken? PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 01:30 AM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: Fuel Pump Push Rod Broken? PLEASE HELP!

I type to darn slow lol Id wonder what the pressure is before the regulator..

Old 03-16-2007, 01:33 AM

Thanks Griff...I did the hillbilly diag already..lol...I tested gas flow from the tank to the engine compartment, I was able to build pressure by manually pumping it...Question for you and everyone else....Is it a challenge to replace the fuel pump rod? I'm thinking about replacing that but I didn't really investigate on how to remove it...looks like I can just pull it out...

Old 03-16-2007, 01:35 AM
3rd Gear Member

The plate behind the pump will come off and the rod will just slide out.

Old 03-16-2007, 01:38 AM

awesome..I'll try that...I just find it very odd and I'm sitting here thinking....It can't be the cam or the rod...some guy told me if the rod broke, you would notice it right away...I appreciate it...

Old 03-16-2007, 01:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Check out the post below....it's a little long, but It might give you some more ideas. it is highly unlikely the rod is broke, more likely the lobe died and it wore down evenly...

https://camaroforums.com/m_46963/tm.htm

Keep us posted on what you find. If lobe died an option is to go to an electric pump...

G

Old 03-16-2007, 03:36 PM

Crap...that sucks...I just spent about a hundred on a new mechanical pump...I guess I'll have to go that route then...thanks for you help..I'll check out that link...

Old 03-20-2007, 05:20 PM

rod didn't slide out? Plate is removed, but I can't pull the pump rod out? Any ideas? BTW, I went with an electronic fuel pump instead. I think my cam lobe is worn or now, the rod is worn..

Old 03-20-2007, 09:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Damm that sucks..

Sounds like the end of the rod mushroomed, which is a ***** and unusual..they are really hard to get out when that happens...

Usually when you wipe out an intake or exhaustlobe on a cam, you pull the engine back down...it's a tough call on a pump lobe....

If you decide to run it as is, be sure to change your oil and filter a couple of times...if you wiped out a lobe or mushroomed the rod, that metal has to go somewhere and the only placeto go is into the oil....

I would beconcerned that the pump lobe died...they ususally do not as there isn't that much pressure on the pump lobe..makes you wonder whats up with the rest of the cam....
If you decide to pull the engine down and the rod is mushroomed,the way Igot one out of a 427 tall deck was to pull the cam out, then push the rod up until you can see it through the cam hole, grab it with a pair of needle nose vise grips then go after the mushroomed sides with a good file (or a small stone and a dremil tool) until you get rid of the lip, then pull it out...

You'll have to go through the engine rebuilding thing...bearing and gaskets arekinda expensive, worst case, if you loose a bearing at 6000 rpms and sling a rod or grenade a piston.. then you could loose the whole motor...and that is a very expensive deal...

Good Luck
G

Old 03-20-2007, 10:10 PM

Thanks for the update. I really hope the engine doesn't blow. The engine was purchase from a company in TX which looks like they are no longer in business. I tried calling them up but it looks like the phone # is out of service...sucks big time!!!. I'm thinking I'll change the oil and check it for metal filings. I'm going to just put the block plate on and leave the rod in there. I'll cross my fingers..and will try to pull the pump rod out next winter. I just can't believe this crap happens..? I mean, the existing fuel pump appears to be working fine, so I don't know what could have cause the wear on the lobe and the mushroom on the rod? Cheap parts?

Old 03-20-2007, 11:52 PM
3rd Gear Member

When you first mentioned it I was thinking maybe they used the wrong pushrod for a roller cam for some it should be bronze tipped maybe they used a bronze tipped one with your cam? I wonder if you could put some epoxy or somthing on it to hold it so it doesent rattle around actually there is a bolt hole there you could put a bolt in it to hold it.Come to think ofit toolong of a bolt in that hole could also have caused it to mushroom. Or maybe it was a chinese rod...........

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Push Rod Broken? PLEASE HELP!