General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Found a nest in the engine bay!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 04:49 PM
Default Found a nest in the engine bay!!!

I was planning on a nice ride today in the beast. It didn't want to start so I popped the hood, and found a butload of leaves and nest material...man! I cleaned as much of it out as I could and found two severed wires that were visible.

I went back inside the car, still no start. It cranks strong, and all the gauges and interior accessories work. Since I'm a newb and not much of a mechanic, I'm hoping for the best but expecting the worst. I know I have to have it towed to a shop. I'm in old bridge, nj, and I was hoping someone here might be able to point me in the right direction. I don't know if I should take to the dealer, as its pretty high milage. The car was running great a week ago. Should I try patching the wires I see and go from there? Man this is not good!

Old 03-11-2007, 10:31 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club
Default RE: Found a nest in the engine bay!!!

find out if theres any connectors nearby. if not, just strip to ends, and add about 4 inches of wire between then and connect them securly. if that doesnt fix it, keep looking for chewed wires. all but 1 vehicle here at my house has been chewed by mice. my camaro, my geo, my pocket bike, my mom's van, and both our mowers have had chewed wires

Old 03-11-2007, 10:41 PM
Tech Droid

Had those little suckers nest in the AC plenum andsome of themdied in there, probably got lost inside. Could't get rid of the stench for weeks. lol

Old 03-15-2007, 10:27 AM
1st Gear Member

I see this problem a lot with stored cars or vehicles that are on a rural farm or home.

Try fabric softner sheets. The smell seems to keep mice away. They don't last long but if your maybe only driving once a week or every couple of days you just trade out sheets when you check the oil or get the car out for a drive. Moth ***** work also but many people don't like the smell.

I use moth ***** in mine, I can handle the spring cleaning if it means no mice destroying my cars, garage and other stuff.