General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Fi to carb conversion questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 01:09 PM
Default Fi to carb conversion questions

Hey all, I have an 87 IROC 305tpi. I bought a carburated engine for it and want to drop it in there. I just dont know where to start. What do i need to get rif of or add??? Any input will be appreciated...Thank you

Old 10-07-2008, 08:11 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Fi to carb conversion questions

What year of engine did you get? You should keep the TPI .

Old 10-07-2008, 08:25 PM

its an 81 350...I got a really good deal on it...and I hate dealing with wires and computer...old school is so much simpler..

Old 10-07-2008, 09:29 PM
1st Gear Member

FI injection is not that hard, and you can spend just as much time tunning a carb as setting up TPI.

But each will do what they will, to many people think FI is hard when it is really quite simple.

You will never get the mpg from a carb as you can from FI. With how gas prices are I would never change FI to put a Carb on a car I am going to drive regularly.

You will either need to put a fuel pressure regulator to bring the fuel pressure down for the carb or remove the fuel pump in the tank and put a smaller fuel pump on/convert to a mechanical pump. You may have to change the throttle cable but nsure on that.

I only hope you don't have emission since you will never pass.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:37 PM

I am not worried about gas prices...and FI is not simple at all...you have computers a million different wires and really expensive parts..."If my tpi breaks down, I wonder what it could be...could be the fuel injectors...Ohhh wait it might not be...the injectors might just not be getting a good signal from the computer..."...Just an examle of how i feel about technology...thanx for your help...

Old 10-08-2008, 03:17 PM

I just found this on the web about the lock up, I just would like to know if it is true...Will I only lose a little gas mileage???

"Other things you should know. Your SES light will come on, and stay on. Since it no longer controls anything, it means nothing, ignore it or remove the bulb. Also, if you have an automatic, the computer will no longer lockup your torque converter. All this means is that you will lose a little gas mileage when cruising in 4th gear over 35mph. You can either live with it, rig your own lockup switch (see the article in Tech Central), or there is a kit available that will take care of it."

Old 10-08-2008, 08:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Here, google is thine friend

http://www.thirdgen.org/carbswap

Old 10-08-2008, 09:25 PM

That is actually where I got that quote from...The engine that I bought has a fuel pump on it...So what do i need to do with the fuel pump in the fuel tank...or is my only option a fpr...cuz im not actually doing a conversion, im doing a swap...

Old 10-08-2008, 11:00 PM
1st Gear Member

conversion or swap is semantics, it's exactly the same whether you are just swapping to carb or swapping engine, since below the intake is exactly the same.

You will more than likely remove the fuel pump in the tank and replace it with a pick up from a earlier version of a thirdgen that was carb. Since the fuel pump on the engine will have to pull through the pump in the tank.