General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Is the Factory 4th gen Posi Rebuildable?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 07:47 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
"No" you didn't put synthetic in? What is Amsoil then? And what kind was the old oil that was in it before? Could be a previous owner already did the damage for you. Or possibly the clutches are just plain worn out. You never did say how many miles are on the diff.
Im sorry, I meant No to the synthetic making it slip. It was slipping before I put synthetic in. I think it had conventional in there before, and it didnt look very good when I took it out. The car has 130K miles on it so I am assuming the clutches just plain wore out.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:06 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Let me know pose another question. What would it take to put a '98+ torsen in my rear end? If I find a 3 channel with no traction control will it drop in or do I have to swap ABS rings or something?

Old 08-11-2011, 10:15 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Have you tried looking on craigslist, or flebay? You might come across deals like this one (unless you're totally against staying with a clutch style posi): Built 373 Camaro Firebird Trans Am 10 bolt Disk Posi Rear End
Or maybe you'll come across a complete Torsen rearend that doesn't have mega-miles. I don't know your budget, but finding a used rearend would be a less expensive alternative to you getting yours updated/rebuilt. ABS compatibility would be one thing, unless not having ABS or traction control isn't an issue...
Edit: just looked on ebay, and there are a couple used low mile Torsen posi units for sale. Research the swap capabilities for fitment into your housing. Maybe someone here has already done a conversion?

Last edited by Camaro 69; 08-11-2011 at 10:35 AM.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:50 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Have you tried looking on craigslist, or flebay? You might come across deals like this one (unless you're totally against staying with a clutch style posi): Built 373 Camaro Firebird Trans Am 10 bolt Disk Posi Rear End
Or maybe you'll come across a complete Torsen rearend that doesn't have mega-miles. I don't know your budget, but finding a used rearend would be a less expensive alternative to you getting yours updated/rebuilt. ABS compatibility would be one thing, unless not having ABS or traction control isn't an issue...
Edit: just looked on ebay, and there are a couple used low mile Torsen posi units for sale. Research the swap capabilities for fitment into your housing. Maybe someone here has already done a conversion?
Yeah the reason I asked about swapping is I found a 57K mile torsen from an '01 on ebay and the price seems pretty good considering it comes with gears too. Does anyone know if this one will just drop into my housing?

98-02 Camaro 7.5' 3.42 Differential Ring Pinion POSI 10 | eBay

I would like to keep ABS but my car doesnt have traction control. I will email the seller and ask if this came out of a car with TC.

When I was younger my Dad put a 4th gen torsen in his '91 and it just bolted it without the ABS ring on it. All we did was change bearings and gears to match.

Last edited by Kubs; 08-11-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:13 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by Kubs
Yeah the reason I asked about swapping is I found a 57K mile torsen from an '01 on ebay and the price seems pretty good considering it comes with gears too. Does anyone know if this one will just drop into my housing?
Yeah, that's one of the ones I saw. It's dirt cheap considering what it is. For what it's worth, fitment info for other aftermarket posi/L.S. units I saw say they fit 82-02 models. I'd be more than half tempted to go with one of those. Heck, it's 70k+ miles less than what yours has, and no clutches to slip.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:19 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I think Im going to go this route, but is there a way to tell if it is a 3 series or 4 series carrier? The seller is in the business of parting out cars and does not know if this one had TC or not. Where would the TC rings be? Can they be seen in the picture?

Old 08-11-2011, 12:34 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

3 channel has a single reluctor in the center section. 4 channel has sensors on each wheel hence 4 channel.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:34 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

You see the straight cut looking gear, just to the left of the ring gear? That's what the TC sensor reads off of. Rearends of that vintage also had separate wheel sensors for the ABS. What I can't tell you, is if that center TC gear is the same between the old and new systems (fitment & tooth spacing).

Old 08-11-2011, 12:45 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by craby
3 channel has a single reluctor in the center section. 4 channel has sensors on each wheel hence 4 channel.
Oh I got it. It was my understanding that the ring next to the ring gear for ABS (all years) and then there was something additional for TC. So if it has the reluctor ring it is 3 channel and one without is 4 channel correct?

You see the straight cut looking gear, just to the left of the ring gear? That's what the TC sensor reads off of. Rearends of that vintage also had separate wheel sensors for the ABS. What I can't tell you, is if that center TC gear is the same between the old and new systems (fitment & tooth spacing).
I looked through some old threads and it seems to be that as long as I get the correct type for my car (3 channel or 4) it should swap without a problem. I just wasnt sure about the difference between the two channels but I think I got it now.

Old 08-11-2011, 01:06 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

lol, yah i tried to make it more difficult than it is to. 3 channel has one sensor on the rear and tc/4 channel has two on the rearend.

Quick Reply: Is the Factory 4th gen Posi Rebuildable?